Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Curious, leaving the turkey woods yesterday my son pointed to a tree and asked what is that? I looked up and about 12-14 up was a ground hog! I didn't think these things climbed trees. Typically I only seee them in fields with no trees to climb but I still thought that was strange behavior. Common???

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's very common. I've seen them up in trees many times feeding on young leaves and buds. They climb very well. I've also seen them swim across ditches quite readily.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This was an ongoing debate between me and my wife for years. I grew up in an area where I saw them in trees all the time - like fat squirrels. She'd never seen it. I'd see them sitting on the top of fence-posts along the freeway, but by the time she'd look we'd already be too far past them for her poor eyesight. One day I looked out the upstairs window of the house we were living in and saw one in the top of the mulberry tree out in the backyard. I grabbed the .22 and yelled downstairs "hey, look out the kitchen window." Then I opened the window and proceeded to drop the little bugger. He bounced off of several branches on the way down, and I hear my wife go "NO F***in' WAY, they DO climb trees!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts