Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time locating GHFR seed in Saginaw /Midland area. All the places I have checked are either out or can't get anymore this season. I would prefer to buy somewhat local.
Thanks

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
I am having a hard time locating GHFR seed in Saginaw /Midland area. All the places I have checked are either out or can't get anymore this season. I would prefer to buy somewhat local.
Thanks
You can order it from Jake ehlinger.
Go to habitat solutions 360 and he has a seed price list.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks B&B but I am looking to save the almost fifty cents a pound shipping. I am looking for thirty to fifty pounds.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Thanks B&B but I am looking to save the almost fifty cents a pound shipping. I am looking for thirty to fifty pounds.
Try welter seed they usually have a deal on the shipping for larger orders. They may be in Iowa but they seem to get things shipped quickly. 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got mine from welter seed but now I am starting to wonder what I really got. The tag said ground hog raddish, but they were in the tillage raddish bag. Do the 2 seeds look alike?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hemlock can't get any. I checked with them on Monday. Freeland wont even try to order any.
I didn't notice Alma Farm &Home having GHFR last week when I was picking up dog food.
GHFR is sometimes referred to as tillhhage radish.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check with Wild John's Gas Station in Cass City. (989) 872-2944. I just bought 15 lbs from Welter Seed and it only cost me $0.22/lb to ship. Not bad really because Wild John's has the seed for $3.95/lb.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Welter Seed has ground hog radish for $2.95/lb. http://www.welterseed.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=418 Fast friendly service. Shipping costs are just about the same as state tax on small seed. Buy online and be done with it. What is your time and fuel costs for running around trying to save a buck?
Amen and a half. So many people have no idea what it costs them to shlep their vehicles around. The IRS says it's $0.56 per mile, and that doesn't include the value of one's time. You usually WAY ahead of the game to order from Welter, pay the shipping charges, and have the product delivered directly to your door.

If one calculates his truck's operating costs based purely on the amount of gasoline he burns he will make some bad economic decisions.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just wanted to express our experience with GHR. We planted some in small plots in Hillsdale county last year (extremely high density area). They were the last remaining planted item left in the plot. We also had mixtures of crimson clover, wheat, oats, kale, oil seed radish. In our area of Lenawee county more and more farmers are fall planting GHR's for their intended purpose of natural hard-pan compaction breakup with additional benefits of adding a decent amount of nitrogen into the soil between corn/bean/wheat rotation. We have yet to notice any deer feeding in those fields, at any time of the winter. Deer can be viewed in neighboring harvested soybean, corn, or winter wheat fields though.

Again just my observation/trials. Historically our deer do not have a high preference for any type of brassica plant.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Amen and a half. So many people have no idea what it costs them to shlep their vehicles around. The IRS says it's $0.56 per mile, and that doesn't include the value of one's time. You usually WAY ahead of the game to order from Welter, pay the shipping charges, and have the product delivered directly to your door.

If one calculates his truck's operating costs based purely on the amount of gasoline he burns he will make some bad economic decisions.

I agree. I ordered from Welter last year while searching for some hard to find clover varieties for a project we are collecting data for with the University of TN. Not only did they have it, but it was here in two days at a decent cost!

Oh and I am not sure if there is any real difference in Tillage radish and GHR. I am sure someone knows that answer though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ampac Seed http://www.ampacseed.com/groundhog.htm has the GroundHog™ Radish

and

Cover Crop Solutions http://www.tillageradish.com/ has the Tillage Radish®

I guess its not big deal on which one I got, but packing groundhog radish in tillage radish bags seemed like a odd way to go.

I just got a order from welter for some seeds that I am going to use just as some fill in around the driveway and where the dozer did some work. There are 6 seed types in the order and rather then have them bag each seed seperatly I asked if they could just put them all in 1 bag to save them the time to bag each seperatly. I got the bill and see they charged me 3$ mixing fee. Also they only pick up the shipping on orders of 50# or more. Sure would have been nice to find that out while I was still on the phone as I would had them bag the seeds in there own bag, and add another 8# of seeds to hit the 50# mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts