Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

GRINDSTONE

9K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  rippper 
#1 ·
Going to be in grindstone July 24-30. Looking for info on whitefish, is the end of July to late? Past few years just ran nort, and got some trout. Any info greatly appreciated. Pm's welcomed.thx

#6 ·
I've done well from about a mile west to two miles east of the port austin lighthouse in 35-50fow. Run your downriggers about 8-10' off the bottom to start, adjust to your marks. Silver streak jr's about 40' behind the ball. If the bite is less than ideal, when I see some marks (or on gut instinct), I'll grab the rod and snap to release and let the spoon flutter to the top on its own pace. This works with 1/4oz hot-n-tots as well. Good times!

#22 ·
3 for 6 this morning in Grindstone. Started in 90fow NE of port. Trolled east to 115, then back west to 90. Hit a laker on a mixed veggies free slider, rigger down 81. Trolled north to 120 and caught a pink on a bright yellow and pink spoon on a 2 color with a 4 oz snap weight out 100. Then started going south and got a nice walleye in 80fow on a 4 color with a 4 oz snap weight, greasy chicken wing spoon.

Had hits on a diver with spin doctor and spinny and a couple hits on the greasy chicken wing 4 color 4 oz that didn't statly connected.

Will probably try again tomorrow.

#23 ·
3 for 6 this morning in Grindstone. Started in 90fow NE of port. Trolled east to 115, then back west to 90. Hit a laker on a mixed veggies free slider, rigger down 81. Trolled north to 120 and caught a pink on a bright yellow and pink spoon on a 2 color with a 4 oz snap weight out 100. Then started going south and got a nice walleye in 80fow on a 4 color with a 4 oz snap weight, greasy chicken wing spoon.

Had hits on a diver with spin doctor and spinny and a couple hits on the greasy chicken wing 4 color 4 oz that didn't statly connected.

Will probably try again tomorrow.
We made one deep water morning trip. Headed NNW to 90 fow. We trolled out to 150 but our action was on the reef @ 105' to 115'. Setup one rigger, 3 dipsys, 1.5, 3 and a 6 core. Added another line with two snap weights somewhere in there. Ran all spoons. We went 2 for 5 with lakers on dipsys set on 1.5 setting and out 150-200. I broke a fish off at the leader when I didn't think the dipsy had tripped. It was another tank laker. The other two fish came unbuttoned shortly after hooking up. We were targeting low - mid 2s for speed. The lakers hit when we fell down to 1.9 SOG. Not a bump on our cores.

Had a lot of marks 50 to 65 down, so that's where we ran our rigger with a Dreamweaver golden orange crush ice SS spoon. Took a walleye on that and had 4 knock offs. I set the line deeper into the release with each knock off. Odd as the walleye came first and never tripped the release, so I don't know what to make of that.

The rest of our fishing trips were centered on eyes. Ended with 25.
Saw these while pulling lines.
Font Gas Map Technology Electronic device

#27 ·
Launched out of Port Austin today. Set up in 120 off the Lighthouse. Left the bay to catch more walleye. LOL…. Not the trout we were hoping for.

Worked 120 out to 145/150 or so with long East trolls, then bucking them back to the W/NW. Had riggers down from 60-130, 2, 3, 5 and 10 colors out, added some droppers too, and dipseys from 175-325.

Ran too many spoons to count, spin n glows, flasher/fly’s, clean spoons off the dipseys, as well as an old stand by squid.

Marks all over the riggers a good portion of the day, as well as marks 30 all the way to the bottom. Frustrating to say the least.

#28 ·
Launched out of Port Austin today. Set up in 120 off the Lighthouse. Left the bay to catch more walleye. LOL…. Not the trout we were hoping for.

Worked 120 out to 145/150 or so with long East trolls, then bucking them back to the W/NW. Had riggers down from 60-130, 2, 3, 5 and 10 colors out, added some droppers too, and dipseys from 175-325.

Ran too many spoons to count, spin n glows, flasher/fly’s, clean spoons off the dipseys, as well as an old stand by squid.

Marks all over the riggers a good portion of the day, as well as marks 30 all the way to the bottom. Frustrating to say the least.
I was stumped at all of the scud missiles firing at my cannon ball last time I was in 95-130' without taking hits. Some even dropping in from above. All I could think about were those underwater following videos. Made me wish I had some Pro Cure to try. Thought about turning a walleye into small strips and slapping it on a spoon. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.