Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never seem to have any luck grinding my own venison. Machine plugs up won't cut etc. what is the secret? Are you supposed to chill the suet so it won't plug up the grinder or what? I wish I could find a butcher in the Macomb county area that would grind it for me. They charge too much to process besides I like doing my own just can't get the burger right.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Make sure you trim the venison real good. Cut into cubes and have almost frozen. And every so often run a cracker threw the grinder.
The fat, tendons, and silver skin clogs them up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know it my not help now but when I researched for my grinder a lot of people had this problem so I bought one with reverse.

Sent from my Chaser using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
After rereading your post make sure you cutting blade is not on backwards one time mine clogged and wouldn't cut that's what my problem was

·
Registered
30 Posts
What kind of grinder are you using? I use a kitchenAid attachment grinder. I've done 5 deer with no problem. I do get the tendon build up too. It needs to cleaned out after 10 pounds or so. I think the grinding speed might make a difference. For me quicker is better. My wife does get worried I'm going to break the kichenAid mixer. I would like a true meat grinder. I look at them every time a Cabelas or Bass Pro catalog comes.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
We have a 3/4 HP Cabelas grinder, usually wait till there is 50-75 lbs then let er run..... spend more time cleaning it up than grinding. It will occasionally clog up with tendons and what not but a quick clean out and back at it. We don't bother to chill the meat unless it is warm out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Shores meat shop 13 mile and harper grinds my venison great price and they do a great job they will add whatever you want to it also usually have it done in one day 586-294-1320

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
After rereading your post make sure you cutting blade is not on backwards one time mine clogged and wouldn't cut that's what my problem was

That's exactly what came to me to when reading op post. Wife pulls that one a lot. Lol I've had a small electric grinder for years and haven't had any problems as long as it's well trimmed. Before that we used a hand cranker.

Remove as much silver skin as possible. Pieces such as forearms take a long time and frankly are hardly worth messing with, most folk just toss into stew or trash. A trick with a good sharp knife 45* angle and push the meat off in even strokes its pretty fast. Lots of practice. :D

Buddies got a real grinder. Im sure you could run a whole deer at once couldn't choke that thing.:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
As far as additives, we add nothing. Venison is a little dry by itself granted. But we love deer meat. Use burger for tacos other mx dishes. Or spaghetti whatever. Not great for bbq grill but no biggie.

I do add when making breakfast venni sausage. All personal preference I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
We have a 3/4 HP Cabelas grinder, usually wait till there is 50-75 lbs then let er run..... spend more time cleaning it up than grinding. It will occasionally clog up with tendons and what not but a quick clean out and back at it. We don't bother to chill the meat unless it is warm out.
My brother and a couple friends got the 1hp grinder . It works great we've did 3-4 deer at a time and never had a clog they ought a bunch of bags and a taper for sealing the bags you need 3 people when grinding one to feed the grinder and 2 to bag so they can keep up. The start up price is a lot but it should last along time and when it's split 3-4 ways helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I have had a cheap grinder (89.99) for 20yrs and just recently had a plugging problem. Did a quick sharpen of the blade with a file and back in business again.
Larry

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
As many have said, a good trimming job is paramount for a good grind. Also, what I do is grind it with the coarse or chili grind plate first ( that's the one with the big holes ) then grind it with the fine plate. MUCH less clogging if any at all.:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
We use the kitchen aid attachment and it works fine for me. Have done maybe 15 deer total with it and never had a problem with it clogging. I always run it on the lowest speed. Maybe I'm too picky with my trimming. But one year I ground bacon in with it and there was no problem with the grinding. But I wouldn't suggest adding bacon (never tasted very good).

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
I have had a cheap grinder (89.99) for 20yrs and just recently had a plugging problem. Did a quick sharpen of the blade with a file and back in business again.
Larry
Mines that old too!!
A "Maverick" made in Poland, from Meijers - God only knows how many deer that sucker's chewed up for us!
;)

To the OP - get some cheap bulk bacon & feed a strip here & there with your veni-veal.... keeps the grinder lubed up and EVERYTHING goes good with bacon!
:lol:
Ancient cH!nE$E secret...:shhh:

If you're against that, then spray the inside with "Pam" before you get started and a shot here & there on the meat should keep your meat feeding great!

Robert

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Mines that old too!!
A "Maverick" made in Poland, from Meijers - God only knows how many deer that sucker's chewed up for us!
;)

To the OP - get some cheap bulk bacon & feed a strip here & there with your veni-veal.... keeps the grinder lubed up and EVERYTHING goes good with bacon!
Ancient cH!nE$E secret...:shhh:

If you're against that, then spray the inside with "Pam" before you get started and a shot here & there on the meat should keep your meat feeding great!

Robert
:lol::lol::lol:
Mine is a Weston. Cant beat them old grinders.
Larry

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
Talk about "They sure don't build 'em like that any more!"
My 220 watt motor would rip the guts out of one of the "1000 watt" LEM's without even bogging down!

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Talk about "They sure don't build 'em like that any more!"
My 220 watt motor would rip the guts out of one of the "1000 watt" LEM's without even bogging down!

I have a 200 watt LEM that could grind your 220 after chewing up 3 deer!:D
Seriously, though, the LEM has never clogged on me in years and deers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
89 Posts
Trimming the silver skin off is essential. I find using scissors is by far the easiest way to trim up the meat. I run mine through the grate that has large holes then the fine grate. I find that to be the easiest way. I also cube mine in maybe 2 x 2 chunks before grinding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Saw some other post it already, Shores Meat Shop, I will also say that they make probably the best venison Italian sausage.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Heck, Wish I saw this earlier. You are right around the corner from me. I have a LEM #8. It's a beast. Case of MGD and we could have done it together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts