Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I never have but we have a pool and a pond in the back yard so he stays pretty cool. Also have a dog door and the wife gets tired of the dripping dog. Can always find another wife but damn it's hard to find a good dog!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just stripped mine and he never seemed to have a problem.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
50 Posts
I shave mine down all over his body, but leave some wiry fur on his legs. He appreciates it!

I was told by a breeder that shaving will result in a softer coat when it comes back in. Nonsense, says my vet, who has turned out to be right, at least for my dog. By the beginning of duck season, his coat is coming back, and by the late, snowy season, the coat is thick and wiry as ever.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I buzzed down a GWP in the very early spring due to a coat issue. His coat grew in very fast, thick and is still course. I would say within 8 weeks it was full length again and i cut it down to 1/4". He looked like a GSP and is again a shag ugly dog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have owned griffons for over 20 plus years, over 12 griffons. you should never cut there hair it takes away from there senses. just like a cat it help them. it will never come back right and never cut around there face or eyes, like i said it take away from there cat like movements. sounds like butt sxxt but true. from a true birddog guy not show stoper.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have owned griffons for over 20 plus years, over 12 griffons. you should never cut there hair it takes away from there senses. just like a cat it help them. it will never come back right and never cut around there face or eyes, like i said it take away from there cat like movements. sounds like butt sxxt but true. from a true birddog guy not show stoper.
Please explain how trimming around there face and eyes takes away from there senses? If anything the coat comes in more harsh after 16 years of stripping and then trimming.

Griff

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not cutting mine but was wondering what others do. I have heard if you do cut only cut from the withers back.

And by the way Griffonguy Filson is a great dog... Did not do to well in SD but was only 6 months at the time.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Not cutting mine but was wondering what others do. I have heard if you do cut only cut from the withers back.

And by the way Griffonguy Filson is a great dog... Did not do to well in SD but was only 6 months at the time.
I use to snow goose hunt Texas in January and the dog got miserable in the fields. So I started stripping her and giving her the 1/2 in buzz. Did that for 14 years on the dog and the coat actually got harsher over time. My three year old gets the same treatment in the spring and her coat is also getting a nice hard coat when it comes back in. The coat takes about 8 to 10 weeks to look like a fuzzy surrender monkey again. Had a few close calls with coyotes in the winter where they get a mouth full of fuzz so no trim in the fall for the dog.

Griff

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

I openly call ******** on half of what you posted. Its hair guy.:dizzy: It WILL grow back and aside of a health issue it will grow back exactly the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know what griffonguy is talking about. I'm bald and my head is all scarred to hell. For those of you that have hair just touch it with your finger and you can feel that on your head. Imagine walking under a tree and instead of feeling that jagged branch on your hair you don't know it's there until it takes a chunk out of your scalp. A cat and dog's whiskers both work as feelers for them to. Really don't think it's going to hurt them to shave them down a bit though.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Please explain how trimming around there face and eyes takes away from there senses? If anything the coat comes in more harsh after 16 years of stripping and then trimming.

Griff
well they have whiskers on their muzzle that are used for sensing. what.. I don't know.

stripping a wire hair is the only way I do it. it's not hard and doesn't take long

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
well they have whiskers on their muzzle that are used for sensing. what.. I don't know.

stripping a wire hair is the only way I do it. it's not hard and doesn't take long
Like I said in a earlier post I strip my dogs first then give them a trim. Were not talking about the whiskers on the muzzle. I'm just trying to figure out how a matted face of burrs add to there senses.

Griff

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I furminated Otis in early summer last year.....his underfur didn't grow back till late winter - he was miserable a lot of last winter in the blinds - poor little guy was just a shivering and giving me the evil eye.

It sure seems like he'd benefit from a full buzz job once a year/early summer...for now I'll just keep stripping the matts and pulling the ear hair.

I was wondering if it was because he was less than three and essentially still a juvenile.

Odd hair/fur related thing - I had his crate filled with cheap synthetic blankets from airplanes and charities that had sent them to us hoping that we'd give them money (we get a LOT of them). He loved the nest he could make with them, but I noticed that his belly fur and legs were always matting. I replaced the synthetic stuff with some garage sale finds blankets and the matting stopped. Dunno if there's any correlation.....but something to mull over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess I should not talk about hair styles, I will leave all that to you guys, I shoot the birds and hunt, that is why they call them the ugly dog. It is what it is, each there own, good day griffon club. wow folks get uptight about things I guess I should have ask is this your first hunting dog and have you ever shot a grouse or anything that flys? comb it cut it, curl it style it ( But does the dog hunt) who cares right as long as it looks good walking around your feet. sorry about give free words, Its all good, everyone here is a dog trainer and breeder, so again sorry about that. I feel hurt by the words of so many Guides and Pro Dog trainers and handlers. This is the main reason when folks ask what kind of dogs mine are i tell them mutts, I could care about the pose or uptightness of many Griffon owners,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts