Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I'm a newbe, New to trout fishing as well. I found this site while doing some research as to where to find them in SW mich.

I got hooked on trout while up in the UP. I went fishing with my new father in law. We came home with a nice mess of brookies. Been trying to find them closer to home ever since. I have found a couple streams resonably close that produce but nothing like I've seen on some of these posts. Give me some time though.

As I said, I'm a newbe. Any advice would be appreciated. If anyone is up for some mentoring, just let me know. I am very respectful of people and the environment and not afraid to entertain some folks along the way.

Good day to all,

Roophus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spin mainly. I actually just got my first fly rod and well to say I have much to learn is an understatement. I play/practice on my boat and caught a few gills. However, the streams I've been fishing, I just don't see how it's even possible.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Spin mainly. I actually just got my first fly rod and well to say I have much to learn is an understatement. I play/practice on my boat and caught a few gills. However, the streams I've been fishing, I just don't see how it's even possible.

That's what I was going to tell you. If you are interested in catching Brook Trout this far south a spinning rod is your best bet. Most streams that hold Brookies around here are very small and very tight. I have caught a few on the fly, but it's not easy. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome to the sport and enjoy the site. For the new fly rod you got look for a local fly fishing club in your area. Im sure there is a club around that way. You can learn fly casting, tying and how to read water, etc....

The club will help you grow and enjoy the sport.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I thought of that but I need to practice a bit more. I talked to a guy from D&R and he set me up with some basics. As I said, I don't mind entertaining People but I try not to. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts