Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for one that wouldn't break the bank and maybe stumbled into one that will be in everyone's budget. I ended up looking at GreenWorks 40V pole saw for $124.99 at Menards and went for it. So far, charges in little over an hour, sawed thru a 4" limb about 10 ft over my head in seconds. been trimming the crap out of tree line on my property and so far great! Looks identical to the Hooyman 40V saw but who knows if as durable etc but time may tell on that. Battery life is about an hour if running it steady but with battery, couple seconds to saw thru and done so it has nice life span for trimming shooting lanes on multiple stands. The other aspect is getting other 40V tools such as chain saw without battery ($ savings) and easier to use for stand management.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on performance is actually much better than I thought. The photo is a 5x9 box trailer loaded several feet above the rails all from current charge on saw. AT time of photo, there was still 3/4 charge left on battery. Since saw is only on a few seconds for each cut, it makes sense it should last pretty good on trimming. I did saw thru a couple of 6" limbs with relative ease which was somewhat of a nice surprise. I would caution that you are careful on how far you reach since if the limb is too high, the steep angle may bind the saw (lesson learned). So far very pleased with durability, performance of saw and battery life.
Tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Thanks for the review. Sounds like I need to look at these. For how often I would use it, I can't really justify the cost of a gas pole saw, plus I hate to leave gas tools sitting around for long. This might be just the ticket for occasional, maintenance-free use.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Thanks for the review. Sounds like I need to look at these. For how often I would use it, I can't really justify the cost of a gas pole saw, plus I hate to leave gas tools sitting around for long. This might be just the ticket for occasional, maintenance-free use.
For the record, I have the Hooyman cordless 40v pole saw and it works flawlessly also...Although using these saws, you will discover muscles in your back that you never new you had before..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW - the Hooyman is on sale today at MidwayUSA for $179 which I think is $100 off? Greenworks is still $50 cheaper. I would bet both saws are made by same base manufacturer since they are virtually identical in every aspect. I wonder if the batteries interchange? That would be interesting for anyone looking for cheaper battery. And I would also recommend following their recommendations to wear safety glasses when trimming limbs for sure. It cuts so fast the stuff falls down all around you! I also looked at a gas pole saw and 1- it was too heavy, 2- did not have the reach of the Greenworks (or Hooyman), 3- does not come apart in easy to secure sections (nice for transport to woods),4 QUIET, 5 - no gas smell in woods or on you 6 - no gas mixture to have fun with, 7- no trips to gas station, 8- plug in and charges in little over an hour, 9- the 40V cut thru 6" limbs easily. Did I mention how much lighter the 40V is? ;)

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
OK - You guys convinced me. BTW - The Midway USA sale is actually $120 off ($299.99 normal) and free shipping. I'm ordering one today. This has been on my "wish list" for a while already. Did anyone order the extra chain??

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Hooyman from Midway. Hard to pass up the sale price and free shipping. I"m pretty sure it will do all that I need it to do. Time will tell...

Just went through a full tank of gas on my Husky and a half tank on my Stihl bucking up a couple of big maple logs. Logger started on my timber harvest today. One operator on a processor cut a big swath the whole length of the 40 today. Should be done in a couple weeks. I will use the new pole saw to cut broken branches doing cleanup.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Bummer! My Hooyman pole saw arrived here yesterday. I put it together but couldn't get the chain sprocket to move to tension the chain. Charged up the battery and installed it, pushed the trigger - Nothing. Called Tech Support. They are sending me a new one and a pre-paid return shipping label for the defective one. Too bad - I was hoping to trim some trees for some new ladder stand installations this weekend.

I know...I know ... I should have gone with the GreenWorks saw. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.