Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen them, using them?

Gander got some in up at the Waterford store and I'm curious what others think of them.

I picked up a couple dozen (can't have enough dekes, right? that makes 27 dozen goose field dekes! - ah, think I need to sell some!) ;)

the best part... they recently got them in and they're on "end of season clearance" already!! (yup, somebodies not thinking here), so they're 20% off.

$129/6 reg price on sale for $104 (6 for the price of 4 BF's).

they seem a little smaller (10-15%) overall than the BF's, but I think the paint job and stances are pretty good!

check them out if you get a chance.

Also, they have the GHG std shells on sale for $32/6 (my opinion - nicest looking shells out there + poses are perfect for resting/sleeping - great ice rigs

and they have BF's for 20% off as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just picked some up as well and your right they are a little smaller than Bigfoots. I've used them three times so far and am very pleased with them. they are the best looking birds in the spread out of the box. Some of the bigfoots have photofeather covers on them. One of the crew came out late friday and said from a distance. The Averys and Bigfoots with covers look alot better than the rest of the spread. And you couldnt notice the size differance from a distance. Which is a good thing if for no other reason I can pack more in the truck for a larger spread. I should have some more from Santa this weekend :D :D :D . For the price and space savings I will be buying these from now on.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Chasin, are the Green head geese plastic like the Flambeau"s or are they soft and plyable like the Big Feet??? They sure look good in the pictures. How much did you pay for a dozen by the way???

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
CC,
They are hard plastic with a round base where the feet are just like the Flambeau's. But unlike the Flambeau's when you take the feet off you can get to the inside of the body. Gives you a place to store heads without carrying a seprate bag. Also you can use the motion stakes avery sells to get some movement from your full bodies. I got mine at Gander Mountian in Port Huron. The price for a box of 6 was like $110.00 out the door. All decoys and accessories are 20% off right now. The price on the box $129.99

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say they're more like flambeaus (in terms of plastic). One of the questions in the back of my mind is "how durable is this thing when they're frozen and then thrown into the trailer? will they crack?

In years past hunting in the late season, I've had heads snap off when it gets real cold.

for the feet... I feel like BF's provide a more "solid" base - not as tippy, but I think these are better than some of the others out there (like the old Flam Persuaders) they also come with a stubble strap on them (some may say overkill) so you can grass it to match the surroundings.

Chasin's right about the GHG feet - you can stick heads inside for storage, but I don't see people removing the feet as much as you might with BF's. those snap in pretty easily, buy my GHG's you have to screw the base in to the body and it's kind of a pain / not as easy as it should be. (at least mine were tough and required me putting the dekes between my legs to hold it and then two handing the feet into the body.) I think these will stay in one piece! I don't like to waste time in the morning!!

I think where these really outshine the BF's is the posing. where BF bodies are pretty much on a horizontal plane from chest to tail feather (kinda "boatish", GHG's angle from chest up and down to the tail... more like a sentried ol'gander would stand.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
That's one thing I have always had a complaint with on any sentry, they don't look like they do in the field. The front of the body is much higher then the back on a live goose when standing in a sentry position. Lot's of times they go from that position to the stretch the wings and flapping deal,,,,then back down to active or feeding. Yea,,,I wouldn't tear mine down either,,,once they're put together if they don't stay together they get screwed and glued

1 - 6 of 6 Posts