Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently this Bobcat decided to cross the stream on the "Great White Pine Coyote Bridge" ;) .

This is the third Bobcat that I have released this season. Now hopefully I will be able to catch a Bobcat during the up coming 10 day Bobcat Trapping season.

My friend Dan will really appreciate this posting, because he was with me on the day we discovered this special location. By the way, Dan we also caught a beaver in the scent mound foothold drown wire set we made up stream from here, using a #14 Victor jump trap. It was a medium sized beaver, so I reset the trap. For the life of me I can't figure out where this beaver came from. He must have come from down stream some where :confused: .

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Beautiful!!!! :D

And the Michigan bear hunter association claims the bobcats are in short supply? Not enough for trapping...only enough for them to hunt. Right!

Seems like youre having a hard time keeping them out of your canine sets! Heck, even HondaXr and myself have caught them, and we dont even know what we're doing (no offense, Dan :))

Speaking of tree crossings, I found one myself yesterday, being used by a fox. But nothing as picturesque as your photo. Thats just awesome!

-NC

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
outstanding Dave!!

Love your Pictures.........hopefully your knack didn't run out on the cats this year.

Did ya think about hanging a coyote crossing sign at enterence to the coyote bridge?

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did ya think about hanging a coyote crossing sign at enterence to the coyote bridge?
tommytubular,

LOL, I really like your idea, maybe it could read "Bridge is closed to all Bobcat traffic, but coyotes are welcome!" ;)

Oh well, this is what makes trapping so exciting you never know what might be waiting for you on your next visit.

I saw some really huge ermine tracks in this location today, so now I have to really get busy and build one of those weasel boxes, like Mallard showed us. So I can add a trophy ermine to my fur collection. I just don't think I will beable to persued Mr. Weasel to use the "Great White Pine Ermine Bridge" :D .

·
Registered
26,591 Posts
muskrat said:
Awesome pictures, any idea how far south bobcats are found?
Matt
Not in any numbers but I saw one by Eaton Rapids. There are quite a few around the Clare area.

Beatiful, beautiful animal. Thank you for sharing and congrats on your trapping savvy

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tommytubular,

I would have loved to see you balancing yourself on the "coyote bridge" releasing that PO'ed feline.
Ya, that would have be a very funny picture! Me balancing on the coyote bridge :lol: .

Now for the whole story. I had forgotten to bring my camera with me, but had left it in the truck. So, left the bobcat in the trap and I traveled pass the bobcat upstream to my beaver set.

Surprisingly I found my one beaver set had connected. So I tied the 35# beaver onto my pack frame and headed down stream past the bobcat and for another 15 minute walk back to the truck to get my camera.

So, I had a lot of time to think about how I was going to release this fighting mad bobcat.

The plastic box over the bobcat trick was not going to work in this case. So I resorted to my old standby forked stick method, while standing in the stream.

It went fairly well, until the bobcat was out of the trap and under the bridge. For some unknown reason he did not high tail it like I expected. But he started coming after me from under the bridge.

Needless to say I did some really fancy back peddling in my hip boots and nearly end up taking a bath in the stream :lol: . Finally he decided he was free and headed full speed for the bank and disappeared into the cedar swamp.

Sure glad I decided not to try a balancing act on the bridge for this release, because I didn't really need a second bath today:D .

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well Dave,

Judging by the photo.....you two should have been about eye to eye...

Talk about an in your face release :yikes:

All I can say is you are a true ambasador to the sport and the animals in which you pursue...

I hope the bobcat gods were watching and allow you to be sucessful in the bobcat trapping season

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Awesome pics and story!! Keep us updated. It's stories and pics like yours that makes this site great!!
BTW.... I like your new avatar Freepop!! I may have a line on season tickets for next year :lol: .

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have really enjoyed Your posts/pics this year. Haven't trapped in many years,never tried Canines - always water trapped. Have some very fond memories of checking sets before the school bus came - Christmas every morning ;) . Bob

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Great story and pictures. Thanks for answering the question, about releasing one of those "bad boys". Very interesting. Beautiful spot you have there, too. Brian.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dave, that is just way too cool!!! Awesome pics!!

Hopefully you'll connect during the season, but your making it tougher on yourself by educating these cats ;)

When MS does a new banner- these photos definately get my vote! JJ

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dave, I do appreciate that! Congrats. I did not think that the first animal you would have caught there would be a bobcat! Again, what a beautiful image, and thanks for sharing.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Guys!

You have to love those Bobcats. They have no problem staring you right in the eye and what a beautiful face!

Still a few more days left in the bobcat season, so all I need is an uneducated bobcat to cross paths with me again ;) .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts