Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The buck I waited for, passing many smaller

Nov. 16 was a great day in the woods for me. We woke to a snowy woods and quiet winds compared to the days before. 4:00 am wake up, shower, couple cups of Joe and I was in the woods by 5:00 am. Upon arriving to my blind the wet, heavy snow had the pines branches drooping low and in my way. I shook off the snow and the pine branches sprung up and out of the way giving me an improved view, I don't think I would have seen this deer if I hadn't removed the snow and let the branches spring up to their natural place. :bouncy:

After clearing my view I went and set two scent wicks up wind of my shooting area. In my experience, bucks tend to check scent from a distance and mainly the younger bucks will walk up on a scent, the bigger deer tend to check and gauge from a distance, so I put my scents up wind of the area I'm hunting.

When I settled into my blind for the day after about an hour I caught some movement in the early morning dawn as the deer moved through the dense pines toward the hardwoods. Once the deer made the hardwoods I could see it was a decent buck, but he was moving at a pretty good clip. My window of opportunity was closing, so I let out a loud snort and the buck froze in his tracks as he scoured the area looking for the other deer. He was standing directly behind a tree, so I had to wait for my shot. After about 6 hours, or about 2 minutes, sure did feel like 6 hours :lol: the deer nudged forward and gave me the shot I was waiting on. He dropped in his tracks ending a memorable Hunt. :woohoo1:

I had scouted this deer and had set up for him and everything just seemed to fall into place. I passed on a number of small bucks including a couple decent 6 points. I had the feeling that morning when I woke up and even made a smart aleck comment to the landowner asking him which area of the county I should tell the local paper I shot the deer at, I suggested a location southwest of camp to help keep other hunters from moving in on us. He agreed that would be a good place, humoring my cocky statement, but never thinking I could back it up. I'm not one to prophetize, but I just felt like it I would finally be meeting up with our local 'tree destroyer.' The deer camp table talk got the best of me and hunters that had scouted less were making some bold claims, so I racheted up my rhetoric, too. In the end I'm sure luck played into my success, but being prepared and doing your homework favors you, imo. I felt I had done my homework and put myself in a great position, but yeah, I wasn't sure I could back up that deer camp table talk, either. :lol:

Buck in the hardwoods funnel connecting to swamp

Evidence from the 'Tree Destroyer"

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Nice buck Sib, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's an awesome buck!! Being a Yooper, I don't see them like that where I hunt, but I know they must be out there, deep in the swamps. Congratulations!!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,386 Posts
Your scouting paid off, and having your mind right with a positive attitude always helps too.

I know that heavy snow narrowed my shooting lanes and made the woods look different than the day before. Nothing like a good day deer hunting in the snowy woods - I can't wait to get back out there!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Nice Buck. Where in the UP are you at? I was in VERY similar snow this year and managed to harvest a 8 pt (not as nice as yours!) and a doe. I am in DMU 152 near ELY for reference.

(Better Pics Coming Later)

They are there but definately hard to find in that country.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guito13 said:
Nice Buck. Where in the UP are you at? I was in VERY similar snow this year and managed to harvest a 8 pt (not as nice as yours!) and a doe. I am in DMU 152 near ELY for reference.

(Better Pics Coming Later)

They are there but definately hard to find in that country.
I'm about an hour and 15 southwest of you. Deer sightings are down in our area over the past few deers, but the buck to doe ratio has improved to a more natural figure. The days of tossing out a salad in front of your blind and waiting for a buck seem to be over. Now it seems if you want to get a nice buck you're going to have to go find him and set up, which suits my style of hunting. The guys in camp that sit in the same blind for a couple decades are having a tough go of it with the lower densities.

My problem is having a couple set ups and then determining which set up would be best on any given day. I had three set ups this season and I chose based on wind. This set-up was the best set up for the wind out of the east, which we seemed to have more this season.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys, it makes the buck buzz even better. :lol:

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Congrats SiB!
Great story, Great pics, Great Buck!!!
I love it when a plan comes together! You Da Man!!! :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts