Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this and have never found a morel in the wild yet. This will be my third season looking. I have done alot of research the past couple of days which I think could put my first morel in the fry pan! I have a funeral to attend in northport michigan this weekend. I plan on making many stops along the way from Grand Rapids. Wish me luck. Thanks to all those who give such helpful info on this web site, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree. Way too cold now, its going to be a few more weeks (especially in northern michigan). I usaully wait until the apple blossoms are blooming. Blacks might be out a little earlier than that.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for that info I will not stop this weekend a look for morels.

Do you look for certain trees while morel hunting, if so whats your favorite tree?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
kcarlson said:
Do you look for certain trees while morel hunting, if so whats your favorite tree?
If I don't see elm I don't even stop unless I'm exploring a new property. I've had some luck around ashes and cottonwoods but for me it's pretty much elm or nothing, at least here in SE Mich.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am new to this and have never found a morel in the wild yet. This will be my third season looking
the hardest part of hunting morels is finding your first one. make sure to crouch down real low and look from the side, also wear your glasses to sharpen your vision.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
One thing I have learned, if I find one turn around and look behind you. They can be hard to see from one direction and stick out from another.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've heard of a trick where you take a picture of some morels with you and just look at it every once in a while. Your mind will remember the image and help you to spot the mushrooms. This might also help with motivation to keep searching. I've never tried this but it does make sense to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts