Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call last nite from my 13 yr old grandson..."Gramps, can I go trappin with you tomorro"? Both my son and grandsons are avid outdoors people. They hunt , fish , camp etc. But they couldn't see why Gramps would come home sopping wet, tired, dirty with no fur at all and be grinning from ear to ear. Well we spent a little time making up some rat boards (4' board with nail at top to hold the bait, finish nail to hold the trap and staple chain to back side). We ended up with 4 rat sets, 2 mink sets, 4 various coon sets and 3 new canine sets. I let him pick some locations and "instructed" as best I could over his shoulder ( HA, only 2 possums this year, the kid should be instructing me!!!) Took him home after about 5 hrs out and his first words to his parents were " gotta call Gramps after church...Got traps to check".I can't be happier.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Skill has nothing to do with passing on the tradition of trapping. I wish more people pocessed the skill that you displayed by lighting the fire inside your grandson. Cherish the memories, and hopefully you teach them to pass on the tradition. That is the most important skill of all.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
ol'man,

Your grandson indeed is very fortunate to have a father and grandfather to look toward for support in his trapping adventures.

As Joe suggests, it is the responsibility of all us trappers, to lend support to all the trappers we come across, both young and old and yes, even complete strangers.

Our unselfish support in passing on our trapping skills is probably the most important act we can possibly perform, when it comes to protecting our right to trap into the future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
those kids sure do get me going. the Enthusiasm is contagious. if it werent for maggie i dont know that i would have gotten back into trapping.
[/COLOR]
wally:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts