Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many posts here about some of the larger lakes that MI is blessed with. Thought I'd share a quick little trip I made this evening to a pond behind a buddy's house. Dave W and I tried this old gravel pit during the winter, ice fishing and pretty much got skunked. My friend had told me there were all kinds of fish in it, so I was pretty bummed. My friend told me this week that the bass were hitting. Wasn't too excited about it but decided to give it a try. Probably not too smart to try it after 3 days of rain and cold weather...but I have been itching to get out.

Went out and found out that the lake had a lot of submerged weed growth within a foot of the surface. So my crankbaits and spinners were not going to work. Tried a Heddon Torpedo on the surface and man did that work!! Nothing like top water action! After it was all said and done, fished for about 1.5 hours and caught 15 bass. A couple were dinks, but the majority were 2.5-3.5 lbs. Not goliaths but still quite fun on lgiht rod and line.

To make the whole story even better......there was a couple out who lived on the pond as well. They were fishing with crawlers. The guy saw me breaking out my lures when I got there and asked if I wanted some of his live bait....I told him no. He said his offer would still stand after I didn't catch anything.....ROFLMAO. They caught 2 while I was there. I could see him shaking his head after each fish I reeled in. All were returned to get bigger.

This was my most productive day up here in MIchigan. So don't overlook those small ponds dotted all over.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have had a similar experience fishing a gravel pit in my neck of the woods. One day I went there and the fish were biting. Caught 29 largemouth bass in a couple hours. I have been back there numerous times since and can hardly get a bite now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
sounds like me today... caught 12 bass in 1 and half hours of fishing. but mine were small but bass are bass( small or not). i used a rapala shad rap dt-5 and caught 2, then it died down. grabbed my bomber model 4a 3-6ft and couldn't keep the fish off(or the weeds!).

·
Registered
137 Posts
I took up golfing just to hit the private ponds. The bass and even pike fishing can be phenomenal. I have caught bass up to 6 lbs in those little golf course ponds and have caught as many as 33 in a very short amount of time. Farm ponds can also be great. I took a 7lb bass years ago from my buddies parents man made pond. I have since hooked up with two more private, man made, ponds (once of which I helped the landowner stock) and the bassfishing is crazy. In the one 3.5 acre pond that we stocked we catch bass at a stupid rate and huge size. A local bait dealer used to trap minnows out of there so there is plenty of food and the growth rate is unbelievable. We take our 4 year old and 7 year old down there fishing for gills and constantly catch very large bass. My daughter won't let me put on a full crawler because she doesn't like catching the big bass! The first time I took my wife she took the pole away and walked around and had a blast catching fish. If anyone is interested, the bass have been schooled up in White Lake channel slashing the incoming alewives. Someone I know was diving there and noticed this and went back the next day and had a ball. But you know how it is with fishing reports, by the time its reported and you get a chance to get out you are a week late. I discovered the golf course thing snorkeling for golf balls (putting myself through college taking scuba diving as a PE credit). Be creative, know that official reports are dated, network with reliable fisherman, be willing to drag a boat through the woods to that bottomless featureless muck hole located in the middle of nowhere, and try other new things, and you'll never settle for mediocre again.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I'm not dissing the larger waters.....just something about being out there w/o all the pleasure boaters. Being relatively small you can get around and hit all the water if you are shore bound. I like the idea of kayaking it, Fishon! Alas I'd need one to handle my mass:sad: Would look like a mall aircraft carrier on the water ROFLMAO. It does help to have friend with a canoe, however(DAveW). We're gonna hit the same gravel pit in the evening and then some southern boy catfishin' into the night....cooler full o brew, a few stogies and some smelly bait. Sounds like a grand night!! We'll have to post some pics...hopefully with some fish and not Dave passed out over the cooler:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts