Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my buddy Arn hunting today. He's been turkey hunting a few years but hadn't connected yet. I took him to my sweet spot that I or some one I take gets a bird out of every year. We set up in a clearing with some deadfall to our backs. I put out a hen and a half strut jake deke. As it got light we could see the birds in the roost trees. I started with a little tree talk after the hens woke up, gobblers were sounding off all around us in the distance but nothing right where we were. First thing that happened was a doe and her fawns coming in front of us at about 15 yards. Neat stuff. I was filming BTW so we got some great footage. At flydown two hens flew right into our dekes and another landed right behind us. They all stuck around putting, purring and soft yelping, heck who needs a call when you have this.:D They started drifting off to the west so I called to them to see if they would come back and a gobbler sounded off right behind us. We quick got into better positions and I called a few more times. He thundered in those woods, man what a sound, nothing like it. Just as we got a look at him another one let go behind us. I think I said a few choice words that were captured on film.:lol: We just concentrated on the original because he was coming fast. He came in just textbook looking to kick that jakes tail and take his hen. We let him get about 12 yards before Arn dropped the hammer. Truely awesome. We could have doubled but we were both so excited that we forgot about the gobbler behind us until we saw him and a jake take off after Arn stood up and was wooping it up. Got the whole thing on tape, can't wait to see how it turned out. I don't have the birds measurement or a pic yet (forgot my digital:dizzy: ) but when I do I'll post em up.
The rest of the morning was pretty exciting too, 5 gobblers in the corn stubble but they weren't quite close enough for my comfort. Always another day, like tomorrow! Passed on a jake later, man he was looking for love something fierce.:lol: Got a lot of good footage of birds gobbling, they sure were not quiet today.
Doesn't get much better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts