Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Wolves are one thing, you usually see or smell them first, but a puma? I have never killed anything illegally but there would be a first time if we are repopulated with these monsters.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
GREAT...........!

Can you tell me how many T-Rex and Velociraptor's can "re-populate" the UP as well?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Watch out! The dnr is out to get you guys! I heard from a friend of a former roommate that they are releasing 30,000 bull sharks into lake superior, too!

If you don't like the scary things in the wild places of the world... don't live there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Watch out! The dnr is out to get you guys! I heard from a friend of a former roommate that they are releasing 30,000 bull sharks into lake superior, too!

If you don't like the scary things in the wild places of the world... don't live there.

Oh piss off. We aren't the mountain states.

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Wolves are one thing, you usually see or smell them first, but a puma? I have never killed anything illegally but there would be a first time if we are repopulated with these monsters.

Pucker factor would be high walking to your tree stand in the dark!!! Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
We probably have a perfect habitat for Asian Carp too, so should we stock them? :dizzy: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Michigan Tech has no wolves left to monitor on the island so now they are looking for something else to get grant money for. Lets load up on cougars. What a crock.

·
Registered
36,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm guessing to make room for cougar expansion the DNR will have to relocate wolves to the LP. According to the wolf plan the LP can support 400 wolves without a problem. To help get them established they should prioritize the CWD first. 400 would clean out the disease ridden deer herd in short order.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Just at the time they are talking about the major cutbacks with deer tags.:lol:

I wonder if the mountain lions would bring in as much revenue and tourist interest as the wolves do?

Wait, we already HAD a game animal that brought outdoor enthusiasts and $$ to the northland. I think they just want attention, dreaming up such banter.

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
I wonder if the mountain lions would bring in as much revenue and tourist interest as the wolves do?
My guess is it would bring in the same amount of tourist money..... $0.
I have never heard that wolves brought in tourist money until they offered a season on them. Outside of hunting dollars I have a hard time believing people travel to our state to see a wolf.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts

Make extra Lunger Kool Aid and make lots of room I am moving in with you the UP is no longer safe. It is a Zoo up here.:yikes::yikes::lol:

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
My guess is it would bring in the same amount of tourist money..... $0.
I have never heard that wolves brought in tourist money until they offered a season on them. Outside of hunting dollars I have a hard time believing people travel to our state to see a wolf.
Former Gov Jenny claimed that people would be lined up at the toll booths to see wolves. Too bad she didn't bet her paycheck on that lie.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Pucker factor would be high walking to your tree stand in the dark!!! Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
My gun is loaded to and from the hunting spot. A cougar was spotted last October about a mile from where I deer hunt. It was one of 4 in Mackinac County that I know were spotted last fall.

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
I would go up every weekend in the winter to run them with dogs. You would get some revenue from me.
Well I know a few friends that are hound hunters who bear hunt. They would probably love to go up to the UP and chase mountain lions in the winter even if they aren't allowed to hunt them. the thing is they already do this for bobcats.......I am doubting 500 mountain lions across the UP will generate much extra money.

When I say $0 for tourism I am thinking outside the hunting world. I am assuming we won't be allowed to hunt them. People aren't going to head to the UP to view animals that you will never see.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I am sure that the UP can support 400 cougars. The question is, can the UP do that with over 1,000 wolves at the same time. Ask the deer hunters how its been up there lately. I don't want them. We are not a mountain state and we are way to populated to risk such a situation.

Ganzer

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
The UP may be able to support 500 cougars. I made mention of wolf in a rural bar in the UP and everyone was going for their guns. Let them plant 500 cougars in the UP then try to protect them. I laugh at the thought of it. They would have to bring in another 100 conservation officers to try to keep the locals honest. Believe it or not at least half of the wolves up here are carrying some sort of healed over gunshot wound. Lucky for them many yoopers can't shoot straight. Bring in some more critters that we don't want and we will have to spend a little time at the range. It is not just the yoopers doing the shooting, either.
People who live in the UP do not want large numbers of apex predators. If they want them start by dumping them in Lansing and Detroit. If they survive then you can move a few to the UP.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts