Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alaska Spey Cley videos are excellent for helping show “how to” do this.

It would be really cool to get a group together, rent a house and fish the Kenai in mid September for big rainbows and prespawn dolly varden.

Cheers, all. Have a great day.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Nice. I fished the Naknek last September for giant Rainbows. Unless the fish is over 30 inches people don't get to excited. It still boggles my mind to catch a 24 inch rainbow and crank it in, unhook it and let it go as fast as possible just so you can get after a bigger fish. I didn't take a pic of anything under 27 inches long.

Except for the ones at Brooks Park where we played dodge the bears for a few hours.
Vertebrate Water Salmon-like fish Fluid Oncorhynchus
Water Casting (fishing) Outdoor recreation People in nature Fisherman

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I fished the Naknek last September for giant Rainbows. Unless the fish is over 30 inches people don't get to excited. It still boggles my mind to catch a 24 inch rainbow and crank it in, unhook it and let it go as fast as possible just so you can get after a bigger fish. I didn't take a pic of anything under 27 inches long.

Except for the ones at Brooks Park where we played dodge the bears for a few hours. View attachment 604631 View attachment 604633
That’s so awesome.

Charlie the owner of the Muskegon River Fly Shop would go on that trip for the big rainbows of September and said it was awesome.

We’re doing a family trip to Seward, Talkeetna and probably Cooper Landing in July. The sockeye should be in and I’m hoping to get a few to with my 12’ 6 weight spey.

I’ve been to Naknek River Camp a few times and would LOVE to target char in the Ugashik Narrows with a spey rod. This one came from chuck n ducking beads. However, I’d be more stoked about a 30’ rainbow.

Cloud Water Sky Smile Vertebrate

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Except for the ones at Brooks Park where we played dodge the bears for a few hours. View attachment 604631 View attachment 604633
Cool article about spey fishing the Naknek

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flylordsmag.com/the-rainbow-trout-of-naknek-river-ak/?amp

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
That’s so awesome.

Charlie the owner of the Muskegon River Fly Shop would go on that trip for the big rainbows of September and said it was awesome.

We’re doing a family trip to Seward, Talkeetna and probably Cooper Landing in July. The sockeye should be in and I’m hoping to get a few to with my 12’ 6 weight spey.

I’ve been to Naknek River Camp a few times and would LOVE to target char in the Ugashik Narrows with a spey rod. This one came from chuck n ducking beads. However, I’d be more stoked about a 30’ rainbow.

View attachment 604635
The group I was with talked about going to Ugashik while we were there but eventually passed on it. The guides said that the area just wasn't producing any giant Char like in the past. The guy who put this trip together was convinced the guides didn't know what they were talking about and was convinced they were wrong. A different group did go and they caught a bunch of Char. Our host was all "See!"

We saw the pictures, nothing over 20 inches and no color at all.

When I go back I may go by myself and upon arrival I'll just ask the guide "what do you suggest?" and go with that. If I had known what the Rainbow were like I would have done that day one and stuck with it. The first one I hooked ran me well into my backing and I could see the end before he finally stopped. The next one ran over 100 feet before he jumped and all my fly line was in the air with him. Those fish are insane.

I would like to go to Cooper Landing as well one year. Just something about swinging flies on those big rivers.

Good luck with the Sockeye. I was really bummed the first time I fished for them and found out they flossed them. 3,000 miles to floss salmon. lol

·
Banned
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The group I was with talked about going to Ugashik while we were there but eventually passed on it. The guides said that the area just wasn't producing any giant Char like in the past. The guy who put this trip together was convinced the guides didn't know what they were talking about and was convinced they were wrong. A different group did go and they caught a bunch of Char. Our host was all "See!"

We saw the pictures, nothing over 20 inches and no color at all.

When I go back I may go by myself and upon arrival I'll just ask the guide "what do you suggest?" and go with that. If I had known what the Rainbow were like I would have done that day one and stuck with it. The first one I hooked ran me well into my backing and I could see the end before he finally stopped. The next one ran over 100 feet before he jumped and all my fly line was in the air with him. Those fish are insane.

I would like to go to Cooper Landing as well one year. Just something about swinging flies on those big rivers.

Good luck with the Sockeye. I was really bummed the first time I fished for them and found out they flossed them. 3,000 miles to floss salmon. lol
They may be flossed but they run like 6 lb bonefish and do jump. Watch your fingers! I had my thumb whacked hard the first time one ran!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.