Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Family owns 120 acres west of Bitley. WE hunt there every year for the opener and usually opening weekend. We usually only get one maybe two deer out of 5 or 6 of us. But this year there were only 4 of us hunting. I shot a large doe on the evening of the opener. I dropped her in her tracks at 75 with a 30-.06. My brother shot a spike on Saturday and my cousin shot a large doe on Sunday morning. We saw more deer than ever, some of it is due to habitat improvement but that can't be the only reason but we had a great first week of the hunt. We also saw more bucks than ever. I can't wait to get up there again for the muzzleloader season. I forgot to mention that my Dad missed a big doe on Openeing Day. So we all got a shot at deer. Great Hunt!!

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
Gotta love those family hunts - congrats! Sounds like you've got "meatinfreezer"!:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it is habitat improvment that has taken several years. We planted thousands of pine trees about 7 years ago and they are almost all fully mature now. And provide excellent cover. All the deer we shot we either moving into or out of some of the pine trees. I bet somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of our property is covered in trees. We also simply start using our brush hog to cut certain open areas down so that they would get more fresh growth. The deer have really browsed over those areas. Althought it took a whole summer to plant all those tree they have now become a big help in our hunts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts