Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Great story! Thats a great looking spot too!

Reactions: brushbuster

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wonderful story. That's real hunting there. I only wish I do that. Congrats to both of you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great story! And pics to go with it!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Very nice buck and enjoyable accompanying story!

One suggestion: look for an area where three cover types converge in that hunting area, then look for sign of a nice buck. I have no idea why they gravitate to sites like this, but they have consistently produced for me, particularly when they are beaver flowages in or near clear-cuts.

Funniest walk-out experience I have ever "survived" was just after I had undergone ACL replacement on my right knee six months prior gun season. We were doing a three man drive where the outside hunters drop back from the point guy who follows good runs or sign. I was point man and jumped what i was sure was a buck based on neck thickness, but never got a good look at his rack. As I worked down his tracks slowly my partner off my right shot and then shouted he had a buck down. I followed that tracks back to him to see a nice heavy high 8pt. laying in the snow. Mike and Jim agreed to drag the buck out on our access trail the mile-plus to the woods road where we were parked in my Buck Sleigh'r which we had stashed with our packs by a nearby stream on the way in. I was tasked with carrying three rifles, 3 packs and two heavy jackets tied-down tight to their packs. I pulled away from them in the darkness, hoping to get to the truck early and come back in with an extra pair of hands and more lights other than our headlamps. When I popped out of the woods at the truck, a pair of headlights immediately lit me up on the road. As I stood in the light-field, I thought, "this will be an interesting conversation!' A MDNR CO walked over to me with a smile on his face and said, " I hope your story matches-up with what I am seeing, otherwise the ticket I write for you will be one of the strangest I have ever issued!" After checking our licenses and making sure all the rifles were empty he helped us load the buck on Jim's Explorer and get it back to our tent campsite.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Thanks for the story, it was a reminder of yet one more reason we hunt.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
That was a great write up! You took me along on this wonderful hunt, it really made me appreciate what we can have here in michigan if we do the work. Great buck! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Wow, what a great story!

Congratulations to you both and thanks for sharing your story!

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Post of the year candidate. Great hunt you will always remember.

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
What a great story. Did you get a new bow Congrats to your friend and I’m sure you will see some good karma from that. Now finish up that log home so we can see some more pictures.

·
Premium Member
15,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What a great story. Did you get a new bow Congrats to your friend and I’m sure you will see some good karma from that. Now finish up that log home so we can see some more pictures.
My buddies bow was a Darton,, they replaced his limbs for free.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts