Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit my usual choice and it didn’t disappoint. Fished for a few hours in the rain and landed a bunch of nice fish. Got into some very solid smallies and a bonus largemouth. Also some nice bluegills and a few sunnies. Most of the smallmouth were recently post spawn. Fought well, but not like they will in a few weeks.

Vertebrate Organism Mammal Carnivore Terrestrial animal

Terrestrial animal Fish Fin Sculpture Wildlife

Organism Snout Softshell Wildlife biologist Grass

Vertebrate Blue Organism Fish Adaptation

Fish Grass Seafood Terrestrial animal Fin

Vertebrate Plant Fish Seafood Fin
Jaw Fluid Organism Finger Natural material
Beak Bird Fish Electric blue Serveware

Food Ingredient Seafood Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pumpkinseed sunfish
Yup, the classic “sunfish” from your youth. I believe it’s close between pumpkinseeds and brookies for Michigans most beautiful fish!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Follow up to the last trip. Fished the Sag today, getting into some largemouth and channel cats jigging plastics near shore. Channels were spawning and bass seemed post spawn. Fish were tight to the walls…
Food Blue Fisherman Fish Fishing

Grass Fish Tail Ray-finned fish Seafood

Food Fish Plant Grass Ray-finned fish

Watch Wrist Arthropod Fisherman Grass

Terrestrial animal Grass Working animal Snout Thumb

Fish Marine biology Grass Fin Ray-finned fish

Blue Mesh Wire fencing Fence Line

Hand Botany Finger Grass Fish

·
Super Moderator
6,845 Posts

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
I was searching for a cornbread recipe and this episode featuring a pair of anglers in Carolina looking for Pumpkinseeds was in the search results. It made me think of this thread.

If you look at the different sunfish in a book or online they can look slightly different in color and shade but from the mouth to gill plate the markings are lines.That is the easiest way for me to tell.

·
Premium Member
12,494 Posts
I was searching for a cornbread recipe and this episode featuring a pair of anglers in Carolina looking for Pumpkinseeds was in the search results. It made me think of this thread.

Did you find a good cornbread recipe? I'd have to find it among my wife's 50+ cookbooks but I've got a great south Georgia recipe from a hundred years ago somewhere. I should find it and make some one day. My great grandma had some good recipes for sure!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hit the river again this week and had another great day with several nice smallies landed. Also hit a different spot and got 10 keeper bluegills. Landed multiple bass on tungsten jigs with straight 4lb while targeting bluegill. Been a fun spring/early summer!

Seafood Fish Natural material Curious Thumb

Bird Beak Road surface Water Feather

Insect Pollinator Arthropod Organism Moths and butterflies

Jaw Reptile Scaled reptile Snake Serveware

Green Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Grass

Hand Finger Terrestrial plant Grass Scaled reptile

Jaw Finger Oyster Wood Seafood

Organism Finger Gesture Nail Thumb

Snake Reptile Finger Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Frog True frog Toad Organism Amphibian

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
nice catch of gills ya got there, right now n this time, each year, i gill fish a lot, i was wondering what is the size of one of your big river gills, here on the grand, n for the first 15 mile of river above 6th street, a thick 8 1/2 incher is a dandy
Tougher bite this weekend, but some eaters and a nice bonus on the 4lb

View attachment 838428

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Meat

I don’t think there’s a Great Lakes trout/salmon as orange as an inland trout fillet! All those crayfish apparently!

nice catch of gills ya got there, right now n this time, each year, i gill fish a lot, i was wondering what is the size of one of your big river gills, here on the grand, n for the first 15 mile of river above 6th street, a thick 8 1/2 incher is a dandy
Get a fair amount of 8-9’s earlier season, with fish pushing 10”+ around, but 7-8” mostly right now. All late prespawn fish where I’m trying.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
View attachment 838479

I don’t think there’s a Great Lakes trout/salmon as orange as an inland trout fillet! All those crayfish apparently!

Get a fair amount of 8-9’s earlier season, with fish pushing 10”+ around, but 7-8” mostly right now. All late prespawn fish where I’m trying.
The flesh seems to vary somewhat in that river system I had two cookie cutter rainbows a few weeks back both from the same hole one had dark red flesh and one pale orange. The pale orange was a obvious hatchery fish rounded head and warn fins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts