Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...only made one trip over from the west side this season...and Kevin's posts of a hot jigging bite were eating on me a little bit. I had an open day after a dentist appointment today so sent him a text last night. We have fished next to each other on the water and BSd a lot electronically, but never in the same vessel...finally made it happen today. Not needing to pull the boat across the state made the decision easy. We met at the Marysville launch a bit after 1:00pm and headed out jigging. Kevin quickly boated 4 keepers on the first couple of drifts while I had some misses and a hurt ego. Then I landed a nice one to break the ice. He then landed his 5th keeper before things slowed down dramatically. We grinded our A$$es off and I caught our last two keepers. But the last one was a fat one just shy of 23"...a great summer fish. So Kevin got me 5-3 in keepers, but I landed the two biggest;) We also caught some shorts and a couple early releases were just touching 15" but I thought it was going to be easy....oh well! Also had a couple of nice sheep that were fun. And I have to mention that Kevin had fun with the snags today. Unfortunately, one snag caused a snapped rod just ahead of his reel. That sucked big time!!! But kind of funny...about an hour later he snagged up in the same spot. After working it a bit it came off...and he came up with one of his previous jigs;) As far as the fishing report...shallow (20-27 fow) and blue ice or pimp daddy...had to be tipped with a crawler. Crazy amount of minnows everywhere...may have had something to do with the tough bite. Over all another great day on the SCR...and great finally getting in a boat with Papa Liver. AJ...we need to make it happen next time! I'll switch over to my phone and add some pics.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Great trip Mike! Started out sooooo hot then once those 12 million minnows showed up they weren’t buying our ******** anymore lol. Mike tried to yank a nice one over the side and lost it. He’s like I won’t do that again lol. I was yanking em over my head like a rodeo cowboy and they’d fall off in the boat but missing the crawler piece and drop it back down and wouldn’t get ****. We laughed about how we gotta be like those tuna boats with 100 fisherman that just drop it in the water and throw em behind you and back down. Gotta go hard with that yank lol. Definitely a good time

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Can’t believe we didn’t get a limit tho dude. Most snags I’ve ever had in my spots. That pole snap smacked the **** outta me! I can’t believe it broke off at the main spot above the reel tho. Glad it was my Fenwick and not the Loomis. At least I got my $1.50 jig back next drift lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can’t believe we didn’t get a limit tho dude. Most snags I’ve ever had in my spots. That pole snap smacked the **** outta me! I can’t believe it broke off at the main spot above the reel tho. Glad it was my Fenwick and not the Loomis. At least I got my $1.50 jig back next drift lol
We each have our favorite stick and I go to my Fenwick before my Loomis or St. Croix sticks. I’ll probably sell one of my Loomis sticks for the price of a Fenwick and replace it with another Fenwick. If your interested in at as a replacement for your Fenwick, let me know.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ? Is HOW THE HELL you leave before dark that close ???
Who threw in towel? I know what ya both do for a living.. No reason to give......
I know Kevin and you're not coming in until you've got your fish. 3 guys, 2 guys, 5 guys.
What gives ? Sissys! 😝😝🤪🤪
Lol…valid point!!! I’ll take the blame! As it was…we quit at 8:00 and I pulled into my driveway at 11:45. But believe me…if there was any sign of hope, we would have kept at it;) Sometimes you got to know when to fold em;)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
We each have our favorite stick and I go to my Fenwick before my Loomis or St. Croix sticks. I’ll probably sell one of my Loomis sticks for the price of a Fenwick and replace it with another Fenwick. If your interested in at as a replacement for your Fenwick, let me know.
I have 4-5 other jigging rods but send me pics of what u have. It’s a sickness and I need an intervention when it comes to buying fishing gear lol.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Ya. Like it was previously stepped on or something. Strange place for it to break.
Definitely wasn’t stepped on and I caught most of my fish that day on it. But when it snapped it sounded like a gunshot. Almost impaled myself with it lol. **** happens, oh well. Last rod I snapped was a Fenwick also, but that was on a sturgeon. Damn thing broke before my 10# crawler harness wtf. But that one broke in the middle

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have 4-5 other jigging rods but send me pics of what u have. It’s a sickness and I need an intervention when it comes to buying fishing gear lol.
Same here. I am selling my salmon and trout trolling stuff so I can buy some new perch and walleye stuff. Think I got the silver streak spoons I have left sold on here today and got two manual down riggers listed now. I need to pick up a couple new walleye trolling rods, line counter reels for them, in-line boards and bandits. No need for discussion with my wife if I sell stuff to pay for other stuff. I’ll PM you info the rod. No sweat if you don’t need or want. Just thought I’d offer you a replacement for you Fenwick with a Loomis at Fenwick pricing since you mentioned you were glad it wasn’t your Loomis.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and Mike did an excellent job making sure we didn’t die with that push pole! Told ya it was sketchy as hell didn’t I Mike lol.
Yup…I think half the time I was jigging with my right hand while using the push pole with my left (athlete!!!)…lost one fish that way because I couldn’t reel down on the fish once I hooked up…”fun” spot though;)

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Lol…valid point!!! I’ll take the blame! As it was…we quit at 8:00 and I pulled into my driveway at 11:45. But believe me…if there was any sign of hope, we would have kept at it;) Sometimes you got to know when to fold em;)
There's always hope!

Yup…I think half the time I was jigging with my right hand while using the push pole with my left (athlete!!!)…lost one fish that way because I couldn’t reel down on the fish once I hooked up…”fun” spot though;)
Excuses 😝😝😝😝

1 - 20 of 63 Posts