Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to MIHunter and his bride and Thunderhead--

May 12, 2007 we crawled out of bed at 3:00 a.m. on a quest for my first turkey. My son-in-law "MIHunter" has been insistent that I bag a gobbler since he began treating me to an early spring morning in the Michigan woods three seasons ago. My Christmas gift of a guided turkey hunt was underway.

We met Thunderhead at 4:45 a.m., packed the "Turkey Mobile" and headed into the darkness.

Just before 5:00 a.m. we were situated in our tent blind. Between the hunting education, review of what to do when my bird arrived and the wonderful hunting stories shared by Thunderhead and MIHunter we practiced the hunter's best weapon...patience.

About 8:20 a.m. a hen exposed herself for less than a minute and disappeared about 15 yards from the blind. She continued to cluck and move around behind us.

Thunderhead repeated "Patience, patience, patience...everything will happen quickly when it does happen; it will be an exciting few minutes."

At 10:00 a.m. a small jake entered the field, stepped forward about 6 yards investigating the landscape. Thunderhead held my ancient Stevens 12 guage, side-by-side exposed hammer shotgun...the gun my father once used. My arthritic bones creaked as I did a "360" to face the jake. I slid the barrel through the screen slit, cocked the right hammer, sighted the prey and fired. Seconds later the young bird responded to the impact of number 6 shot from 35 yards.

The story is not unique...but it is my story and more importantly the culmanation of a great Christmas gift from my daughter and son-in-law. We shared something that is such a part of his life...his passion.

Stories of relationships and sharing the passion are woven throughout this web site; history is created, bonds are forged and memories are forever memorialized.

Our great day in the woods embodied all of the good things that hunting can create. MIHunter, Thunderhead and Beepa shared a slice of time that will never be forgotten or duplicated...the first bird!

Thanks for the great Christmas present.

Beepa

· Michimaniac
4,616 Posts
and :Welcome: to Michigan Sportsman. Congrats on the bird, and I hope we get to hear many more stories from you.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.