Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a canal today and did quite well. Used my new flasher, and boy does that help. Wanted to say tnks for everyone that sent me a pm and chimed in on the thread I created. What a big difference. All fish came on firetiger tungsten jig with either waxies, spikes. Tnks again for the help. I can't see ever going out without it.

Burgundy

· Registered
7,658 Posts
Hit a canal today and did quite well. Used my new flasher, and boy does that help. Wanted to say tnks for everyone that sent me a pm and chimed in on the thread I created. What a big difference. All fish came on firetiger tungsten jig with either waxies, spikes. Tnks again for the help. I can't see ever going out without it.

Burgundy
Always nice to know they are down there and what part of the water column.Some day I will get one!

· Registered
107 Posts
Let me ask, and know ahead I’m not trying to be a smart ass or anything of the sort. I’m as green to the sport as they come and just trying to learn. How exactly do these fishfinders help? Parked stationary over a hole I’m assuming Fish come and go. There could be Fish 100 feet away but the flasher wouldn’t see them I’m guessing. While on a boat your covering large distances of water to find structure, bait fish, and target Fish. How do these help up your game on the ice other than being able to tell there’s something there moments before the bite?

· Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being able to see where the fish are in the water column right under u. So let's say you're fishing in 8 foot of water and your bait is in six foot down, the fish are stacked in 4 foot . If u didn't have a flasher u wouldn't know where they are. U can also see the fish rise off the bottom and swim up to your jig. I'm no expert as today was my first time using it. However I did a ton of research and watched alot of videos. Also got alot of help from guys on here that have and use them. TRUST ME, I DOES WONDERS for catch rate

· Registered
591 Posts
There is a transducer that goes in the hole. I have a vexlair which is a flasher so it tells me the depth of there is fish there or if I’m wasting my time. I can jig them up and pretty much know when there going to bite after you get used to it. I’m telling you if you try it you will never leave home without it.

· Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I tried one for the first time this year to. Now I need my own. There are simply fish you wouldn't have a chance at without it. I let's you jig aggressive to attract fish and then get subtle to seal the deal at the end. Makes it way easier to figure out what is going to trigger them that day too. For example, in the marina we were fishing when the fish came in you needed to slow raise, if you jiggled the spoon at all the perch would split. Not to say you couldn't figure that out without a flasher but I probably would have assumed there were no fish there first. It took 2 fish coming in on my soon, and me trying to jiggle and pause to get them to bite, and them swimming away to figure it out

· Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Another problem is I just bought a terrova, 2 new high end combos, and a kicker motor and bracket. Next spring i need fiberglass reinforcement done. It gets hard to justify after a while. Even for a guy that is so full of crap if you gave him an enema you could bury the rest of him in a shoebox, it gets hard to justify to the misses.

The reason I'm thinking flasher though is the "no delay" argument. I'm paranoid of even a slight delay. The flashers are pricy for how 1 dimensional they are though. I kayak fish and the thought of a helix that did both well is tempting.

Hope I'm not derailing your thread Ron burgundy. Stay classy.

· Registered
9,798 Posts
I have not tried an LCD but id like to before I decide on my new unit.
Son has a lowrance 5 ice version and it worked great when we were in Caseville. Maybe even to good as when I asked him why he wasn't jigging his lure he said "cause I can see there are no fish down there right now". I told him to keep jigging to bring one in, he said he will wait till there's a fish. Ten minutes later he says "look there's a fish", he bounces his jig once and says "I got him". After he gets the fish in he says "see how that works :mischeif:"

· Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Son has a lowrance 5 ice version and it worked great when we were in Caseville. Maybe even to good as when I asked him why he wasn't jigging his lure he said "cause I can see there are no fish down there right now". I told him to keep jigging to bring one in, he said he will wait till there's a fish. Ten minutes later he says "look there's a fish", he bounces his jig once and says "I got him". After he gets the fish in he says "see how that works :mischeif:"
Now that is hilarious

· Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another problem is I just bought a terrova, 2 new high end combos, and a kicker motor and bracket. Next spring i need fiberglass reinforcement done. It gets hard to justify after a while. Even for a guy that is so full of crap if you gave him an enema you could bury the rest of him in a shoebox, it gets hard to justify to the misses.

The reason I'm thinking flasher though is the "no delay" argument. I'm paranoid of even a slight delay. The flashers are pricy for how 1 dimensional they are though. I kayak fish and the thought of a helix that did both well is tempting.

Hope I'm not derailing your thread Ron burgundy. Stay classy.
All good brah

· Registered
1,128 Posts
I had a marcum showdown that never worked right so I got rid of it , now I'm thinking about one of the FL's , wishing I could find a fl-22 for the shallow water
forget about the Vexilar, and forget about the new stuff. Go on ebay. Lowrance X67c ice machine. Discontinued a few years back. Should be able to find a lightly used unit on there for less then $100. I sold my FL-18 back in the day to get that one. It blows the vex away.

· Registered
3,205 Posts
Love the x67c too! I'm big with a graph over a flasher but probably because that's just what I started with and am used too. Can't even imagine ice fishing without a sonar unless I'm sight fishing now. It's definitely a night and day advantage!

Reactions: Sharkbait11

· Registered
9,771 Posts
For the thousandth time, there is no delay.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.