Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Grass That Can Handle Wet Feet?

1280 9
I have a sparsley wooded area, that I would like to plant a 3-4' tall grass in that can stand to get wet feet. This area can hold water until June and is always moist year round. I want to plant the grass to help keep the woody vegitation at bay and for a visual planting. I'm thinking like a quail habitat where you have scattered trees along with flowing grasses. I have planted several WSG plots that have done well, but all of those have struggled in the lower areas of the fields. I also would like to mix in some wild flowers as well. So what varieties of grass and flowers would work?

Thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
http://www.prairienursery.com/ Check out prairie nursery, They have alot of the native type grasses and wildflowers that may just be what you're looking for. Also, there is a native clump type grass that grows in many of our S.W. MI wetlands/marshes that would be perfect for you and is very common, I just don't know the name!:dizzy:
Huntmaster143 said:
I have a sparsley wooded area, that I would like to plant a 3-4' tall grass in that can stand to get wet feet. This area can hold water until June and is always moist year round. I want to plant the grass to help keep the woody vegitation at bay and for a visual planting. I'm thinking like a quail habitat where you have scattered trees along with flowing grasses. I have planted several WSG plots that have done well, but all of those have struggled in the lower areas of the fields. I also would like to mix in some wild flowers as well. So what varieties of grass and flowers would work?

Thanks
Another good choice might be sedges. I don't know how tall they grow though. Also try

http://www.oakprairiefarm.com/
You might try Big Blue Stem. It is a native bunch grass that usually does pretty well on wetter sites.
I've been told many times that "Cave In Rock" switch grass stands up very nice. However, I have no idea if it is good for wet areas. I hope so though because I am probably going to try it out this year and we are on the edge of a swamp.
Scott, here's an idea to consider -
Girdle all of the sparse trees so that they die over the next few years; then, next winter, when the area is likely frozen over, gather up a bunch of cattail seed heads and shake them out over the ice.

Cattails are a truly under-rated grass, providing great YEAR-ROUND cover. And incredibly easy to get established.
Thanks for the info,

FL, Cattails would probably grow, but I'm looking for something a little different. An ideal view would be a praire grass field flowing in the wind, but I need it to withstand getting wet feet. I thought about trying some prairie as a test plot to see how it would work, but I'm afraid it would get smothered out.

I'm going to call a few people next week to see a sedge meadow. I think that would grow good, but I need to look at the visual side before I plant something. Anyone know where I can drive and look at a sedge meadow?
Some idea's ? Eastern Gamma grass. Canada Bluejoint. Lake Bank sedge.Fowl Mannagrass.Green Bulrush ?
Reed Canarygrass does well in wet areas, but it may not be a good fit for your needs. It develops into a pretty thick sod which I think is hard for smaller animals to run around in. Will turn into a pure grass monoculture over time. More sparse stands of native grasses might suit you better if they tolerate the moisture. do a google search on 'ernstseed' here in western PA...should be an ideal company to deal with on this unique situation.
I would think Kanlow would be just what the Dr. ordered.
It is a type of switchgrass that thrives in wet/mucky areas.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.