Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Not sure what all your other grasses are Rugbym, but it really doesn't matter as one is as bad as the other I guess. What you have is not uncommon at all when frost seeding switchgrass. Most of us have been there and done that even when keeping the weeds down the previous year, applying simazine and Gly, etc. Bare soil just houses a lot of unwanted seeds.

I think the best thing to do with first year switch is to mow it - some say as much as 3 times the first year. Try to mow above the switch yet prevent the other grasses from going to seed.

Secondly, you can spray Gly again next spring after the other grasses have germinated but before the switch comes up again. If you have broadleaf competition you can spray that with 2,4-D.

Switchgrass is very good at out-competing other grasses and weeds so your second year will be much more successful if you can nip it in the bud some during the first year.

Here I am spraying Gly on a switch stand on May 15th (Dickinson County). Didn't hurt my switch at all but it did nuke some other grasses which had already come up.
Tire Wheel Plant Harvester Sky

This is a patch of switchgrass I planted to expand the patch on the right. Can't remember if I mowed it 3 times but I know I mowed it at least twice - this is August of 2020
Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Groundcover

June 23, 2021
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

June 28, 2021
Plant Plant community Tree Green Natural landscape

July 5th, 2021
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Agriculture

By the following July 15th (2022) it has caught up to the older stand of switch.
Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Tree

Patience is a virtue when it comes to watching switchgrass grow. There is only so much you can do, but it usually takes care of itself by years 2 and 3.

"Patience Grasshopper"

1 - 1 of 1 Posts