Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frost seeded switchgrass in roughly 1 acre plot in March. applied simazine in early spring and glyphosate in late spring before emergence. I'm seeing what I believe is some switchgrass, but a lot of other grasses starting to form seed. I know some is foxtail...some is witchgrass, but not sure what is in this picture....something that seems to be doing very well in my plot. can anyone help identify? also interested in thoughts on whether I should be mowing/spraying at this point to help the switch establish next year?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
This interests me as I'll be undertaking switchgrass planting over the winter on our property, and I'm starting to prepare the areas now with glyphosphate spraying, so I hope yours works out for you. Like I said I have yet to start, but from everything I've read to prepare myself, at this point in time there really isn't much you can spray to help the situation. Simazine/atrazine are pre-emergent, and glyphosphate can kill young switch. My guess is you could mow it to try to give the young switchgrass some breathing room against the other weeds/grasses.

Reactions: rugbym10sflyu

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This interests me as I'll be undertaking switchgrass planting over the winter on our property, and I'm starting to prepare the areas now with glyphosphate spraying, so I hope yours works out for you. Like I said I have yet to start, but from everything I've read to prepare myself, at this point in time there really isn't much you can spray to help the situation. Simazine/atrazine are pre-emergent, and glyphosphate can kill young switch. My guess is you could mow it to try to give the young switchgrass some breathing room against the other weeds/grasses.
I think spraying glyphosate throughout the rest of this year in preparation is a good move on your part. I disked my plot throughout last summer to keep it free of weeds but that obviously opened the seedbank to all that I am seeing right now. I'm leaning toward mowing but only have access to a old ford tractor and brush hog and worry about damaging switch that I run over...might be over thinking it given the amount of weeds currently shading it out and about to send a lot of seed into the plot.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
So SG germinates in late spring and you plant before the mid June germination date and it sits there while the other native plants are already sprouted? I sprayed and June planted a heavily worked previous year field and still had the natives invading me. It looks a little better this year but is still "dirty". This spring I late planted a different field with the Sorghum cover as was discussed in a previous thread. This field has seen very little (1 1/2") of rain so it may be a wash (that's a pun) this year for me. Sometimes some things do not grown certain ground. :banghead: :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Not sure what all your other grasses are Rugbym, but it really doesn't matter as one is as bad as the other I guess. What you have is not uncommon at all when frost seeding switchgrass. Most of us have been there and done that even when keeping the weeds down the previous year, applying simazine and Gly, etc. Bare soil just houses a lot of unwanted seeds.

I think the best thing to do with first year switch is to mow it - some say as much as 3 times the first year. Try to mow above the switch yet prevent the other grasses from going to seed.

Secondly, you can spray Gly again next spring after the other grasses have germinated but before the switch comes up again. If you have broadleaf competition you can spray that with 2,4-D.

Switchgrass is very good at out-competing other grasses and weeds so your second year will be much more successful if you can nip it in the bud some during the first year.

Here I am spraying Gly on a switch stand on May 15th (Dickinson County). Didn't hurt my switch at all but it did nuke some other grasses which had already come up.
Tire Wheel Plant Harvester Sky

This is a patch of switchgrass I planted to expand the patch on the right. Can't remember if I mowed it 3 times but I know I mowed it at least twice - this is August of 2020
Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Groundcover

June 23, 2021
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

June 28, 2021
Plant Plant community Tree Green Natural landscape

July 5th, 2021
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Agriculture

By the following July 15th (2022) it has caught up to the older stand of switch.
Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Tree

Patience is a virtue when it comes to watching switchgrass grow. There is only so much you can do, but it usually takes care of itself by years 2 and 3.

"Patience Grasshopper"

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure what all your other grasses are Rugbym, but it really doesn't matter as one is as bad as the other I guess. What you have is not uncommon at all when frost seeding switchgrass. Most of us have been there and done that even when keeping the weeds down the previous year, applying simazine and Gly, etc. Bare soil just houses a lot of unwanted seeds.

I think the best thing to do with first year switch is to mow it - some say as much as 3 times the first year. Try to mow above the switch yet prevent the other grasses from going to seed.

Secondly, you can spray Gly again next spring after the other grasses have germinated but before the switch comes up again. If you have broadleaf competition you can spray that with 2,4-D.

Switchgrass is very good at out-competing other grasses and weeds so your second year will be much more successful if you can nip it in the bud some during the first year.

Here I am spraying Gly on a switch stand on May 15th (Dickinson County). Didn't hurt my switch at all but it did nuke some other grasses which had already come up.
View attachment 846279

This is a patch of switchgrass I planted to expand the patch on the right. Can't remember if I mowed it 3 times but I know I mowed it at least twice - this is August of 2020
View attachment 846285

June 23, 2021
View attachment 846281

June 28, 2021
View attachment 846282

July 5th, 2021
View attachment 846283

By the following July 15th (2022) it has caught up to the older stand of switch.
View attachment 846284

Patience is a virtue when it comes to watching switchgrass grow. There is only so much you can do, but it usually takes care of itself by years 2 and 3.

"Patience Grasshopper"
great info, thank you! good to know it isn't necessarily a complete loss yet

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Frank (WT) your footnote matches your last two sentences! :D

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I think spraying glyphosate throughout the rest of this year in preparation is a good move on your part. I disked my plot throughout last summer to keep it free of weeds but that obviously opened the seedbank to all that I am seeing right now. I'm leaning toward mowing but only have access to a old ford tractor and brush hog and worry about damaging switch that I run over...might be over thinking it given the amount of weeds currently shading it out and about to send a lot of seed into the plot.
You aren't going to hurt the switchgrass by running it over, mow it around 8" high. Getting rid of all that bulky grass will really help the switchgrass, but it's honestly getting pretty late in the season, it would have been best to mow several times over the past month. If you don't have a large area you could treat with Quinclorac; Quinclorac 75 DF Herbicide

Reactions: rugbym10sflyu

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You aren't going to hurt the switchgrass by running it over, mow it around 8" high. Getting rid of all that bulky grass will really help the switchgrass, but it's honestly getting pretty late in the season, it would have been best to mow several times over the past month. If you don't have a large area you could treat with Quinclorac; Quinclorac 75 DF Herbicide
thanks IceHog! Sounds like mowing is still worth a shot and it's probably a little over an acre so I might also get some quinclorac on it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts