Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is where I'm at;

Lowrance x67c, has been my ice unit, I like it, so I bought the summer transducer for it. :D

Now I've mounted it to the boat in the exact location where a previous Lowrance X45 was. The X45 worked flawlessly at all speeds (you'll see why that is important in just a minute).

The x67c now works great, nice arches on the fish, but I "lose" the graph when I get above 10 -12 miles an hour. She just starts blipping off and loses signal return. :rant:

I'v checked the mounting, seems to be nice and flush with a flat spot on the hull, lined up with the centerline of the transducer, just like the manual says to.

Any suggestions / input where to start troubleshooting ? :confused:

Can't tell if I'm too low (not sure if that would be a problem) or if I'm too high in the mounting and she is losing clean contact with the water as the boat planes out ? :16suspect

Not like I can hang off the transom to get a visual on whats happening while I'm flying across the Bay at 35 mph by myself. :SHOCKED: :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The Whale said:
Not like I can hang off the transom to get a visual on whats happening while I'm flying across the Bay at 35 mph by myself.
Actually you may have to do just that. Get a driver. I had position issues with a ducer and had to watch the water contact through various speeds to make sure that the ducer held clean water through plane before I found a suitable location. If you can temporarily mount the ducer you find that "sweet spot" without drilling a bunch of holes then mount it permanently to that location. Another thought, you may have ducer problems rather than location issues.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,447 Posts
The Whale said:
OK, here is where I'm at;

Lowrance x67c, has been my ice unit, I like it, so I bought the summer transducer for it.

Now I've mounted it to the boat in the exact location where a previous Lowrance X45 was. The X45 worked flawlessly at all speeds (you'll see why that is important in just a minute).

The x67c now works great, nice arches on the fish, but I "lose" the graph when I get above 10 -12 miles an hour. She just starts blipping off and loses signal return.

I'v checked the mounting, seems to be nice and flush with a flat spot on the hull, lined up with the centerline of the transducer, just like the manual says to.

Any suggestions / input where to start troubleshooting ? :confused:

Can't tell if I'm too low (not sure if that would be a problem) or if I'm too high in the mounting and she is losing clean contact with the water as the boat planes out ?

Not like I can hang off the transom to get a visual on whats happening while I'm flying across the Bay at 35 mph by myself.

I usually tilt the XDCR a few degrees (one click) forward from level - but if you don't have the lower half in a smooth flow - you'll get the problem you're having now....
Look at it ON the trailer br0!!!
:lol:
(you can use a yardstick or any straight - edge to see where it lays , also the transducer needs to be level from port to starboard (AAARRR!)

whoops , that damn fedex commercial won't leave me alone...LOL!
:evilsmile

"Too low" is only ever a problem if ya whack something..... just ask Waterfoul - he broke his a few weeks ago - superglue & epoxy to the rescue.
;)

YOu should be able to run [email protected] out no problem. I hope you're mounted down the lower portion of the transom also.
:fish2:
(sent U an email)
R

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Yeah, but the one I broke was on my trolling motor... damn stump!!

As mentioned, side to side the transducer needs to be level with the ground... not the bottom of the boat. My transom mount ducer keeps contact with the bottom at max speed (30 mph or so in the Tracker) but I have it mounted just a tad lower than SFW's picture shows... and level with the ground side to side (which is hard to describe and I'm not up to drawing a picture!). Throws a cool rooster tail at planing speeds too!! LOL!!

·
Super Moderator
16,447 Posts
What's the verdict , Jeff???
:D

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I'm having so much fun nailing these Bay Walleyes I forgot to respond on this topic.

Yes, I did lower the transducer from its' "centerline", manual stated location (and picture by SFW above) to a new position approx. 3/8" lower than the bottom of the hull.

Results have been perfect, no loss of signal all the up to 36 mph. Top speed. Not like I drive that way anyway, especially scouting for "new spots" (;) ). But she does work "clean" all the time now.

All is well once again. :D :fish: Thanks for the responses guys.

P.S. - Robert, the secret "Bomber" (;) ) kicked butt Saturday afternoon in 24' between the plugs on the Bay. 3 for my 5 came on it. Purpledescence D.D. Minnow Rap took the other.

·
Super Moderator
16,447 Posts
schWEEEET!!!
:evilsmile
I told ya that's a good bait...
Did ya run it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back or tack it on some lead to get it down , as it runs pretty shallow all alone.
:D

Good for you!:fish2:

RAS

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I ran an in-line 1oz. and then set 'er back 65' to get at 'em. Worked like a charm for two of five. I'll give her another whack at the 'eyes this next trip out for sure ! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts