Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Lowrance 525C DF w/ external gps on my islander earlier this summer and I've noticed that when I go with the single cone set on 50KHZ, I can't get my sensitivity up past 65% without it washing out the screen to the point its almost unreadable and I should be able to get it almost to 100% I'd think. In the installing process I noticed they said to keep your wiring seperated from your boat wiring due to negative feedback but due to my boats setup, the only real viable way to do it was along the starboard side of the boat, which subsequently also had the boats wiring. I'm wondering if I'm getting interference from the boats wiring harnass, and if so, could I put pipe insulation around the graphs wiring to insulate it from the other wiring to reduce negative interference? Looking for suggestions from anyone who has run into similar issues?

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
When I run a Dual 50/200 with a transom mount, I can only get about 85% then I start to see clutter from the 50 Khz. That one has a larger cone which will pick up more "stuff".

How do you have the Xducer mounted? Is it near a Rake?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
When I run a Dual 50/200 with a transom mount, I can only get about 85% then I start to see clutter from the 50 Khz. That one has a larger cone which will pick up more "stuff".

How do you have the Xducer mounted? Is it near a Rake?
By rake do you mean rib? If so, no, I tried to keep it away from anything that'd cause an interruption with water flow. I've got the transducer mounted on a large piece of nylon, so I guess I could monkey with different positions. On Saginaw Bay it works like a dream, marking bait, lots of full hooks, but only when I go into deeper water and switch to the 50KHZ cone do I notice the sensitivity falling off the table. I know you want a fair amount of clutter, but the way it is now, even 50% seems like its more then what would be preferable. Maybe I'll have to try re-wiring, but I'm dreading the thought of spending four more hours of feeding and weaving those wires through every nook and cranny in the hull.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
I'm not familiar with your unit but does it mark good at 50%? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Simrad EQ44 with a Combi wide transducer. This is a very expensive system and I can't get my sensitivity above 52% before there is too much clutter. The deeper the water the more I can increase it though.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with your unit but does it mark good at 50%? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a Simrad EQ44 with a Combi wide transducer. This is a very expensive system and I can't get my sensitivity above 52% before there is too much clutter. The deeper the water the more I can increase it though.
I can get it to 50 no problem, and as high as 65%, but even at 65% the top 30-40ft is just a solid block of color, its hard to pick out fish within this wide bar. In water 100'+ the sensitivity max's out around 65%.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Do you have a surface clutter option on that unit?

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I have s surface cluter option that was in an update I did last yr. Seemed to help out a bunch.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Yes you have the surface clutter adjustment.

Go to Lowrance's web site you can download a simulator of your model to your computer. You can the operate the until on a simulator the same as you would on your boat, I did this with my 5200C globalmap and my 515CDF. This is also listed in the owners manual.

Skinner

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
you may also try running your wiring in some schedule 40 pipe ( electrical underground pipe ) home depot special. also magnets work wonders on blocking electrical interference

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you may also try running your wiring in some schedule 40 pipe ( electrical underground pipe ) home depot special. also magnets work wonders on blocking electrical interference
Thanks DMZ, my brother ran some pipe insulation around it this past weekend, have yet to put it on the big lake to test the effects.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts