Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be hosting our Ruffed Grouse Society Fun Trial May 6th, at Thundering Aspens in Mesick.

Cost is $40.00 per dog.

Judges: Bruce Minard, Rodney Robison

Please see link for more information if your interested.

1st 30 dogs signed up will compete, top four dogs go onto the RGS Dog of the Year Trial.

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/pdf/07TraverseCityMISpgHunt.pdf

I am the Contact for this Trial, you can PM me or send me a email if you would like to participate.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
We will be hosting our Ruffed Grouse Society Fun Trial May 6th, at Thundering Aspens in Mesick.

Cost is $40.00 per dog.

Judges: Bruce Minard, Rodney Robison

Please see link for more information if your interested.

1st 30 dogs signed up will compete, top four dogs go onto the RGS Dog of the Year Trial.

http://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/pdf/07TraverseCityMISpgHunt.pdf

I am the Contact for this Trial, you can PM me or send me a email if you would like to participate.
I would like to get into one of these fun trials. However, can anyone tell me if NAVHDA tested dogs are elligible to run? If so, at what level pass can't they have? Also, I do not understand not allowing members with titled dogs to run, no matter what the title. After all, it is for fun isn't it? And why penalize the members who care enough about their dogs to run them in trials or tests. I read the flier and it isn't clear:confused:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Shotgun Kennel said:
I do not understand not allowing members with titled dogs to run, no matter what the title. After all, it is for fun isn't it? And why penalize the members who care enough about their dogs to run them in trials or tests. I read the flier and it isn't clear:confused:
I'm guessing that the presence of seasoned trial dogs and handlers might have a chilling effect on the entry of newbies and the owners of puppies which seems to be the goal of fun runs.
Besides, isn't it a lot more satisfying (and fun) to do well against your peers in a tough competition than to walk in and obliterate a bunch of lesser competitors in an easy one?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
FindTheBird said:
I'm guessing that the presence of seasoned trial dogs and handlers might have a chilling effect on the entry of newbies and the owners of puppies which seems to be the goal of fun runs.
Besides, isn't it a lot more satisfying (and fun) to do well against your peers in a tough competition than to walk in and obliterate a bunch of lesser competitors in an easy one?
It is for fun! Not the competition. I could care less how my dog does compaired to another I just like to have them run with other dogs and enjoy the experience. I have never run in any kind of trial. I have run my dogs in NAVHDA tests. OH well.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I don't know how to define seasoned trial dog but there will be untitled trial dogs there. I took my young hutning dog up last year and had a "fun" time. Nice folks to talk with even when the weather was crappy and the cover thin. The format last year was similar to what folks do everyday when they go on a preserve hunt.
Go out and enjoy yourself, I did.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
2ESRGR8 said:
I don't know how to define seasoned trial dog but there will be untitled trial dogs there. I took my young hutning dog up last year and had a "fun" time. Nice folks to talk with even when the weather was crappy and the cover thin. The format last year was similar to what folks do everyday when they go on a preserve hunt.
Go out and enjoy yourself, I did.
It does sound like a good time, and a very positive thing for both owners and dogs while supporting the RGS at the same time. If at all possible, I'll be there--hope to see some of you guys there.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my opinion and my understanding of the titled dog/pro handler situation.

There are many RGS members that want to participate but dont based on fear of embarassement (sp), this is not why we put these events on. The judging is complete at the flush, or until the dog picks up the bird for a retrieve. These events were created to get gun dog owners together for a day of fun during a time of year that is stagnent for the gun dog owner.

Another reason for not allowing titled field dogs to enter is to promote the idea of participation, if we allowed titled dogs, who is to say my common meat dogs would ever have a chance of placing there for why would I participate? Also by not allowing titled dogs we keep the event 100% ameture.

I hope this clears some things up.

If your dog is NAVHDA titled and you want to run, I say go for it. Just dont be surprised when a good old hunting dog beats yours.

Fritz

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
If your dog is NAVHDA titled and you want to run, I say go for it. Just dont be surprised when a good old hunting dog beats yours.

Fritz
I hope to god you're not being serious there.

edit addition: How big is the area that the "fun trial" is held in?

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FieldWalker said:
I hope to god you're not being serious there.

edit addition: How big is the area that the "fun trial" is held in?

Scott,

Yes I am serious, there are some very very good dogs that are run in these events, there owners simply choose not to test or trial there dogs. These fun trials are the only events they participate in.

Our Event is held on about a 20 acre course. We run the same course all day which creates some issues also.

Fritz

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Scott,

Yes I am serious, there are some very very good dogs that are run in these events, there owners simply choose not to test or trial there dogs. These fun trials are the only events they participate in.

Our Event is held on about a 20 acre course. We run the same course all day which creates some issues also.

Fritz
My brothers chapter of QF puts on a trial every winter on wild quail, any dog is welcome to enter. Over the years thare have been quite a few titled dogs compete. To my knowlege every year the winner has been a "meat dog" My brothers #2 dog took second this year. So, yea, there are a lot of really good hunting dogs out there that never enter a trial.

Sounds like a good time, wish I didn't already have plans.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Just seemed like more of a NAVHDA dig than anything to me. Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Sounds like a good time.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
NAVHDA is not a competitive organization it is about training, testing and comparison to the breed standards. Not sure what brought on your attitude.

Not a real positive way to encourage participation Fred.

From your tone seems fun really isn't the goal here. I had considered heading over that way since I was going to be up north anyhow...big deal right? I am sure you will get your 30 people with or without me!

It's not my intent to send this thread down the crapper with negativity just a little puzzled with what you hoped to accomplish.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:dizzy:
NEMichsportsman said:
NAVHDA is not a competitive organization it is about training, testing and comparison to the breed standards. Not sure what brought on your attitude.

Not a real positive way to encourage participation Fred.

From your tone seems fun really isn't the goal here. I had considered heading over that way since I was going to be up north anyhow...big deal right? I am sure you will get your 30 people with or without me!

It's not my intent to send this thread down the crapper with negativity just a little puzzled with what you hoped to accomplish.

Good luck and have fun.

You guys are reading way to much into this...:dizzy: I apologize if anyone read it wrong, but it honestly was not meant as a slap in the face to NAVHDA lots of good NAVHDA dogs do very well in all arena's of testing and trialing, and I wish I had a NAVHDA like club to run my dogs in. So I apologize, I was on the road and busy when I wrote it.

Joel, and anyone else.

I still have 13 spots I believe, so we would love to have you.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Foggy memory here but didn't a Navhda tested GSP win this event last year? I believe a flushing dog(flatcoat retriever) took second.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
Matt Mates is in charge of Judges, Dan Ross is in charge of food and logistics, Fred Heller is in charge of putting his foot in his mouth.
You seem to be on task, keep up the good work!!!:lol:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Is this open to the ever bored retirees who might want to hang out and eat a dog and drink a pop? Glad you filled up, but this might be a good excuse to take a ride if the public is welcome...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts