Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent some time at Fitzgerald Park,today.The kids went sledding and I hit the river.The water was clear(slightly stained) and had almost no shelf ice,or floating ice.
What a difference from th KZoo,I hit in Battle Creek,yesterday.The Zoo had only a channel open on one side,and lots of ice floating in that.
Never got any strikes at either place.Will try GL,again tomorrow,as my son has to go to Hunter Safety,there.He has an 8hour class,so maybe I'll try a few different spots around GL.
:cool:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to Fitz again this morning.The river was up a couple of inches from yesterday.About the same,no ice. Caught(and released) a 22" Northern,and a 12" Smallmouth. Lot of ice on the lead guide,but was fishable with mono. Sure was great to feed my addiction. Have to go back to pick up my son,so will try again this afternoon.Maybe I'll try the Island,also.

Tried again this afternoon,but only caught a mepps spinner(#4RBT) and a purple worm. I kept the spinner and let the worm go. More wind made it seem colder. There was some small ice floats that the wind must have knocked loose. They've rearranged the seawall at the island,to where its not as easy to fish the lead point anymore.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
2manyfish,

That whole idea flew like a lead balloon, I think it's back to user discretion for the most part.

Mitch

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fitzgerald park covers over a mile of river.I,wouldn't think that as being as specific as say 6th Street Dam.Besides,if everyone wants to flock there to catch an undersized pike,or an out of season bass,oh well.I, volunteer for the parks,and promote them when,I, can as a service to my community.I,certainly didn't see alot of signs of other people braving the finger biting weather.Mine were the first tracks in the snow.I,did see another guy fishing the other side Friday,but he didn't catch anything either. Why is it a secret that the Grand River(or the K-Zoo) have fish in them.I, didn't post anything that would let you know exact location of the catch. And,I, did not catch anything on the Island,was merely stating that the renovations made it near impossable to fish the best spot. So what is the problem?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Keep up the good work fishing addict. I see nothing wrong with sharing information. That's what makes our sport special. I get some of the same rebuttal when I share locations, baits and depths with those who may be struggling. It is a big world out there and if someone wants to share my spot, thats ok.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to another spot yesterday.First time in a while,That we had 30 degree temps and no wind.

Just bought a new Pleuger/Trion reel and Berkley Lightning rod,and some of those Mr. Walleye/Smithwick Rogues.3.5"

Had a pair of 13" smallies,follow it right back to feet several times.Finally one hit right at my feet.Not too much thrill when they are that close.Switched to a 4" Bomber,and the second one did the same thing.
Then I switched to a 4.5" Storm. Threw it out and snagged about 10yds out.Loosened up to let it drift off,and just as I started reeling again,a 30"+ Pike nailed it,and screemed about 20yds of line off,jumped,and gill raked me,leaving me with half my leader and no lure.

Worked it another 45 minutes,without anymore strikes.Then I had to go home as the twins were out of school.

Sure was nice to have some weather that didn't bite your fingers.Nice not to have to wear gloves to fish also.
Was happy with the new set-up.It cast as good as my Daiwa and the anti-reverse never failed while jerking stick-baits.The drag was super smooth during the run,too.For $70 total,for rod and reel,I'm very happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fishing Addict, Try putting some chap stick on your guides. It will keep the ice out of them. Fly shops sell some stuff called stanly's ice off but its kind of $$. Chap stick works the same at a quarter of the cost. I agree with the therory that reports should be informative( gen. location, method, bait or lures). River fishing is always a touchy subject as far as reports go, I don't normally write reports about the rivers I fish just becouse I don't like to see alot of fishing pressure on them.;) But if somebody else writes a report I will certanly read it. Hope the chap stick in the guides helps, just passing along a trick that was passed on to me.:D Roughneck

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went again Thursday. 1 smallie;and another snip off.This one only pulled about 3' then took my lure.So I put on wire and the next hit was another 13" smallie.Fished another hour with no strikes.
Going to try Friday morning.Was surprized to see the river had gone down instead of up.Still pretty clear,too.
"Thanks Roughneck."
I've been meaning to try that,but keep forgetting.Didn't need it the last 2 times.Should have used fireline,and I might have landed one of those pike.
Oh well;at least I got to feed my addiction.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got to the river about 11:00am today.The river had started to come up some,but wasn't dirty yet.The wind was moderate and the sprinkles were just starting.

I,had on fireline today,so it figures that I never had any pike strikes.I,caught & released 4-13" smallies.Had a number of bumps and short runs besides.STILL NO WALLEYE.

I used a variety of stick baits and caught each fish on a different one.

Two guys on the other side were using minnows under slip floats.They seemed to be losing alot of bait,but never seen them land any.They kept following me up the other side.When I stopped,they stopped,and so on.

Had to go chaperone the 7&8th grade dance,and do some things at the Legion,so I left about 12:15pm.

Wish I could catch something legal,whether I keep it or not.But it beats getting skunked. And keeps the withdrawls down.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fished from 7:30am-to-11:30am. 9-13"SM,1-17"SM,1-27"Pike.
The water was a little more cloudy,but still pretty clear.Up a little,and all shelf ice is gone,no ice floating.
Caught one SM on about the second or third cast with a Mr. Walleye/Golden Perch(Smithwick).Then nothing for 2 hours.Used mostly sticks,but even tried some jigs.
Then at 9:30 I put on an orange&white/Oh Bug(Yozuri).That was the ticket for 3 more fish in about 5 cast.When that slowed,I put on a brown&chartreuse/Risto Rap(the small one)for a couple more including the 17".
Next hit was the pike on a Glass Shad Rap/small white.
Then I caught 1 on a black&white floating rapala,2 on a Mr.Walleye/orange&chartreuse,and 1 more on Oh Bug.

Some guys across the river were floating jigs with minnows under bobbers,and catching Smallmouths,Pike,& walleye.One of the Eyes appeared to be 24" at least.He said he caught a 30" before the last front.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went for 2hours today without a single bump.Not even a snag.
Went to a trib that is finally open to try for Pike.Hit three different spots,and never even saw a flash.
Must of got their bellys full Sunday.They will have to eat again sooner or later.
Invited smith kzoo and G Daddy for this week-end.Hope they are hungry by then.
Did see some Steel porpoise,a few times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts