Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides Trout/Salmon, is there anything else I can fish for this time of year at the 6th Street Dam? I am itching to go fishing, but dont want to buy an all species license this late in the season when it will just expire in April. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i believe if a river gets a run of salmon and or steelhead then you have to have an all species license to fish it. regardless of what other fish are present in the system.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
No Quix, I am not sure of the rules but you definatly do not need an all species to fish the Grand.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
unfortunately i dont have the rule book in front of me, but i thought that someone said you had too in a discussion about the MO. that has other species present besides trout/salmon/steelhead.

i guess the difference could be the fact that there is no resident trout in the grand like the mo. i will have to find the rule book to find out for sure, or maybe boehr or someone else will come along this post and tell us.

if i am incorrect i apologize.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure I dont need an all species license to fish the Grand, since there are some rivers that you do need an all species license. But is there anything else I can fish for at the 6th street dam besides Salmon/Trout. I know my chances of finding someplace to fish this time of year that isnt through the ice or for Salmon/Trout is slim in my area, just itching to get out.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
All-species fishing licenses are required for all anglers, age 17 or older, to take and possess trout and salmon from any public waters. This license also is required when fishing the following waters:

All trout lakes designated by the DNR under FO-200.
All Type 5, 6 and 7 streams designated by the DNR under FO-200.
All waters of the Great Lakes when trout and/or salmon are the target species
All designated trout streams (FO-210) when trout and/or salmon are the target species.

i copied that from the dnr webpage.

as far as what other fish there are...

there are carp, smallmouth, walleye, but i believe most are closed right now. i dont know the warmwater seasons very well since i dont fish for them much (especially in the winter)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Walleyes are open, I'm sure there's a few of those as well as suckers, carp, cats below 6th street.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I might be wrong here, but seems if you buy your liscence after Jan 1, it's good for the entire year until the follwing march.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Mag...

Sorry but from the DNR web site.....

Please note, Michigan hunting and fishing licenses are valid from March 1 through March 31 of the following year for the appropriate seasons.

So we are in the 03 season for another few months.....ie have to still purchase a 03 license.....could purchase on March 1st. and get 13 months out of it but only will help ya out if do not have a license from the prior year....

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have a MI license you may fiah any where you want but if you catch a salmonoid / trout it must be released. the license you purchased if good until i beleive april 1st. then another is needed. there are still walleye in the river and steelies are fun to catch but must be released without an all species license. closer to the lake there are places to take lake run browns. once again an all species license is needed. When the spring run first starts (steelhead) some where in march you will need the all species.

Good luck and tighe lines<><

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I plan on getting an all species license for 2004, since I got a nice St.Croix Rod and Shimano Reel setup for Christmas. Besides live bait what else while the walleye hit? I might just have to try casting for some walleye :). Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
try bodybaits...husky jerks,bombers;)

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Try talking to the guys on the high wall on the east side casting after dark, they get some. In and around the bridges is supposed to be good too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
As quix20 pointed out an all species license are required when fishing type 5,6,&7,and lake types A & D, and certain type B.All other waters if trout or salmon are the target species. The Grand is not designated,but does have some tribs that are.Type C lakes may be fished without an all species license.Cireofmi, walleye are legal until March15,and don't be surprised if you hook some smallmouth bass,but there season closed Dec.31.I,ve seen days,this time of year,when walleye & smallies were very active in Grand Ledge.I've,also caught a few Northern Pike,in open water this time of year.Pike season is the same as walleye.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am on my to 6th Street, I got to go to Grand Rapids for other things anyway. I will report on at least the water conditions and if anyone else is fishing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i fished the grand all my life. right now you can get eye's on bucktail's off the wall.you can tip them with min's or crawlers.don't use husky jerk's unless you know right were to throw them or you are just giving them to the river god's.if you want to try for cat's you can but i never got them in winter.the carp are alway's there go by the water outlet on the westside or in front of the bridge water buld.just my 2cent's but i never been skunked there in the past ten yrs.post if you get anything

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Thanks for the tips splicer. What size/color bucktails are good to throw? Do you fish day or night?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts