Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We couldn’t make the Canada trip again this year so I chose Grand Lake after some mild success early last fall. I don’t know the lake well but figured we would try it again.
We arrived to find one of the biggest may fly hatches I have ever seen since a trip to Nakina many years ago. I’m no entomologist so maybe they weren’t really may flies but I’m going with that. There were slicks of them and wiggler carcasses everywhere. But what do you do? You fish.

We fished for small mouth and got a few in 5’ of water or less but they sure weren’t on fire. I think we caught maybe 6 or 7 in a few days fishing total.
We tried trolling for walleye and caught a few tiny perch and one walleye that maybe measured 8”.
A local guy told us there had been some type of fish die off there but I didn’t find any local news about it. We did smell a very strong dead fish smell in many areas of the lake but I didn’t actually see any dead fish.

We tried one super windy afternoon on Long Lake and got about 8 smallmouth in several hours, all in 3’ of water. We gave a half hearted try at the walleye but not enough effort to give a report.
It’s a beautiful area and we had fun but good grief I hope to get back to Canada soon.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
That is a annual thing on G.L., this year it is a week early.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
There was a bass die off a few (5-6?) years ago.

But for sure, the mayflies kill the fishing.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There was a bass die off a few (5-6?) years ago.

But for sure, the mayflies kill the fishing.
I heard that die off comment last year. Last time I fished GL, I was disappointed to say the least. Where I typically catch a couple dozen SM Bass, I only caught one largemouth and a few short bites by small SM Bass. No nice fish and very few fish bit or were seen in a 12 hour day. Could be that die off is a real thing. I had my doubts but not so much now.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
There were dead ones, everywhere. When the ice came off, they were all over in unbelievable numbers, at least on the ne end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if it was actually determined to be the cause but I heard that The Largemouth bass virus was responsible for the die off 5-6 years ago. Apparently it affects SM as well. Either way fishing has been tough since then.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Not sure if it was actually determined to be the cause but I heard that The Largemouth bass virus was responsible for the die off 5-6 years ago. Apparently it affects SM as well. Either way fishing has been tough since then.
I agree. Never knew why but just figured I sucked at catching Grand Lake smallies. It's really an easy lake to catch Smallmouth in ordinarily. Family has a cottage across from brown island and we always caught SM Bass off the dock easily. Had several fish on beds all around the docks and kids caught them on kiddy poles. Not lately. Haven't seen any spawners and haven't had much success off docks for kids in the last few years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts