Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was done fishing for the week but despite the breezy forecast, it was calm again this afternoon and when my son got home from school he wanted to go fishing. Who was I to say "No"?;)

We fished from 6-9pm and started with a 5# chinook within 5 minutes. He hit a lemon ice on a 7-color, Chase got his first lesson in lead core:dizzy: . No more fish for about 45 minutes, then a screamer hit a blue monkey puke with glow as I cranked a rigger down from 70 to 80. As Chase watched 500' of line melt off the reel, a firetiger thunderstick on a 3-color with a snap weight took a hit. I reeled in that jumping 3# steelhead, then found Chase's fish had gotten into the 7-color. We battled it in to about 40' then I untangled the mess while the fish zig-zagged along behind us; having a slider on the rigger line didn't help. Landed the fat 15# chinook anyway. Caught a small chinook on the 7-color, too worn out to release. Last fish was Chase's biggest steelhead to date, about 8# that jumped like a missile on the firetiger thunderstick/3-color rig.

Finished up 5/5, 165-180 FOW was best for us. If I have time tomorrow I'll post a picture of a smiling Chase and the fish.

I'm glad these trips only take me about 5-6 gallons of gas for car and boat combined:rolleyes:

Butch

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Thanks for the report Butch.

I'm dying to get out there. If things go well, it will be next week. Its 320 miles round trip for me. :mad:

Butch said:
I'm glad these trips only take me about 5-6 gallons of gas for car and boat combined:rolleyes:
I'll bet it would add 10 years to my life if that were the case for me.:D

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
You dirty dog.;) What size weight are you adding to the 3 color? I had some grilled fresh steelhead myself the other night.:corkysm55

Way to go chase, gotta love that lead core.:D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H-man: Thanks and YES:D

P-wood: Thanks, I like reading your reports too. I try to give the weekenders some useful info, and hopefully they post weekend reports and give me some help for the next week.

Brian: My favorite fishing is for stream trout, but that's usually a 200 mile roundtrip so I feel your pain. If it wasn't for gas prices, I probably would have driven north for some trout fishing last night.

Stein: My "snap weight" was a 1.5 oz(I think) perch sinker and an old cheap pinch pad release I found in my tackle box. Now that I know it works, I'll dig out some more sinkers and put them in my boat:) .As for the lead core, I still hate it:rolleyes: , but I can't get my dipsys to go this week and I wanted to fish with more than just my 2 riggers.

Butch

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
That is AWSOME Matt.

Gosh I hope things slow down a bit so I can get out fishing with you one of these days. But I'm not sure if they are going to or not. I'm thinking my fishing may be EXTREMELY Limited in the next couple three months or so.

:gaga:

Congrats Chase. Although I was expecting him to be wearing one of the pattened Butch fishing shirts. It is almost as famous as the Ferris Jersey.

-Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts