Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any locals wanna pm me abt the current fishing situation at 6th street
A lotta rain and north wind for it to be so quiet lol 😘

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Any locals wanna pm me abt the current fishing situation at 6th street
A lotta rain and north wind for it to be so quiet lol 😘
Family is going to Michigan Adventure Wed but we're staying in Grand Haven tomorrow night. I plan on spending fading light on the pier or boardwalk with my 6 year old.

If we do anything or hear about conditions upstream I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first year looking to get into either salmon or steelhead. I've been trying to do my research for where and how but understand that a place like this is great for the "when". Are we still early for as far up as Grand Rapids?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first year looking to get into either salmon or steelhead. I've been trying to do my research for where and how but understand that a place like this is great for the "when". Are we still early for as far up as Grand Rapids?
Wait till October for the peak at 6th street
There’ll be kings hos and steelies

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
i wouldn't throw them all in river water save a little n do your thing with them also, what ya got to lose

well took the eggs out of freezer from last fall.
letting them slow thaw in fridge, than into a bucket of river water for a bit.
than will strain and do a borax sugur cure.
will attempt to make my own bags for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Looking to try 6th Street for 1st next week. Can you catch them on spinners? Any easy beginner techniques to bring my 7 and 11 year old boys? You can PM if needed. Thank you!
can be a zoo if the fish are in.
I will stop in the morning and see if anything is jumping.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
? would you just thaw and cure?
i was advise by a few people to let them finish thawing in river water before curing.

I’ve never thawed eggs in water. You want as slow a thaw as possible to preserve the quality of the eggs. Power thawing creates mushy, goopy skeins. I’ve cured lots of pre frozen skeins and they always turn out nice with a slow thaw in the refrigerator.

Ingredient Red Fruit Cuisine Frutti di bosco

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
good to know.
guess i shall see how it goes. had a gallon zip lock full of eggs. sat in fridge overnight.
i did add 1 cup of river water to the bag today and they are still froze and placed back in the fridge.
guess i will not add any more water to them and just wait for them to thaw. than rinse in the river water and cure them.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
good to know.
guess i shall see how it goes. had a gallon zip lock full of eggs. sat in fridge overnight.
i did add 1 cup of river water to the bag today and they are still froze and placed back in the fridge.
guess i will not add any more water to them and just wait for them to thaw. than rinse in the river water and cure them.

Curious to know why you’re so interested in thawing them and rinsing them in river water? Are you trying to “river cure” them? I don’t get what you’re trying to accomplish if you’re going to put them in a commercial cure?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
was told by an old gent, that when i go to thaw them to use river water and no tap water.
goi g to do my own cure of borax, sugar, salt, and kool aid.
this is something i have not done.
for years come fall i would be in the woods every second i could, but living a few minutes from the river, i am going to do more fishing threw september.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
I've never heard of anyone thawing frozen eggs in water of any sort. It seems that would just wash out the eggs, and turn them to mush. I've always had best results when curing spawn before freezing it. It isn't hard, and doesn't take much time. I portion quart ziplocs with enough cured spawn for a slow 1/2 day of fishing, then pack those bags into a gallon bag, and freeze. I take out as many bags as I figure I might need, a few days ahead of time, and let them thaw in the fridge.

Simple, easy, and works great. But I do know a few people who make curing spawn a couple-day process. Mine is a 20 minute process for a couple big skeins.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I've never heard of anyone thawing frozen eggs in water of any sort. It seems that would just wash out the eggs, and turn them to mush. I've always had best results when curing spawn before freezing it. It isn't hard, and doesn't take much time. I portion quart ziplocs with enough cured spawn for a slow 1/2 day of fishing, then pack those bags into a gallon bag, and freeze. I take out as many bags as I figure I might need, a few days ahead of time, and let them thaw in the fridge.

Simple, easy, and works great. But I do know a few people who make curing spawn a couple-day process. Mine is a 20 minute process for a couple big skeins.
just going with what i was told.
as we all do things we learned.
after hunting all day and than fishing all night, when i finally made it home. i was dead tiered and buddy had put the eggs in a gallon zip lock and i placed them straight in the freezer.
I do plan, to take better care this year.
theese are the first salmon i have ever caught on the river, and growing up on lake huron did not use eggs trolling for them on huron.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts