Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend a good GPS for ice fishing the Saginaw Bay? Im looking for an easy to use GPS that will get me back to my truck safely. Something that is too expensive.

Side note, I've never used a GPS before.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
303 Posts
garmin dakota. touch screen very easy to use. can still use with gloves on and is relatively cheap compared to some models. lake map software is about 100 bucks for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Got a older Lowrance H20 I-Finder and with a lakemaster chip its all I ever need.Hard or softwater.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Got tired of the small screens on the hand held units a few years ago. Since I'm normally leading the group I upgraded to a Lowrance global map 5300. Full size screen and color...im a happy man now!!!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
walleyejack, can you get a lake chip for that e-trex or not? need to get 1 also but not sure what to get, thanks.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Can someone recommend a good GPS for ice fishing the Saginaw Bay? Im looking for an easy to use GPS that will get me back to my truck safely. Something that is too expensive.

Side note, I've never used a GPS before.

Thanks Guys
if all you want is to get out and get back get something simple like the garmin e-trex, it's a discontinued model, but google it, and you can get an idea of what it does, and then compare it to something else. I've used mine for years, and will keep using it. it has a neck strap, it's backlit, Practice with it in your truck as you go to work or the store setting waypoints as you go, it's fun.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Garmin Rhino series make the most sense IMHO. You get the two way radio and a great GPS all in one. When my Garmin 12 goes to crap I will have one if not sooner. My brother and Dad use them and its definately the way to go if your getting something new.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Just re-read your a first time user..
The Bushnell BackTrack that Cabellas has looks like the ticket. Under $100 and does one thing.....gets you back to where you started from. Im getting one for a back up before next season....they look sweet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I picked up a Garman 60Cx last year from Costco on-line for $199. Added a RAM mount to the quad and it works great.
I’m down loading the weekend activities to the computer so I can update my favor fishing spot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just re-read your a first time user..
The Bushnell BackTrack that Cabellas has looks like the ticket. Under $100 and does one thing.....gets you back to where you started from. Im getting one for a back up before next season....they look sweet!

I just did a lot of reading on that BackTrack, and that definetly seems like the way to go. Like I said, I just want to go from point A to point B safely. The Saginaw Bay is a big place to roam, and when you're 4+ miles out, it can be hard to find your way back to the exact spot you were coming from.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive got a lowrance h2o c that I really like, just got a lakemaster chip for it and I can take that chip and also use it on the 522 on the boat. Good gps for the price if u can still find them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a Garmin 76csx and it does a great job - 1 of the best parts is it is water proof and it floats - unlike my cellphone .

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just did a lot of reading on that BackTrack, and that definetly seems like the way to go. Like I said, I just want to go from point A to point B safely. The Saginaw Bay is a big place to roam, and when you're 4+ miles out, it can be hard to find your way back to the exact spot you were coming from.

Thanks for the help guys.
Hey Mook, I got a etrex for sale if your still looking. Let me know. Anyone eles is interested just hit me up, thanks. Mike

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got a older Lowrance H20 I-Finder and with a lakemaster chip its all I ever need.Hard or softwater.
I have a I-Finder Pro that keeps shutting off because of the cold last night at zero degrees. I have a 12 batt hard wired to it and mounted on my sled. Another guy said his H20 did the same thing. I may try to band a chemical heater to it next time. I have a lake map chip in it and hate to have to buy another but will if I have to. Anyone else having the issue?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've never had it shut off on me, i just go through alot of batteries due to the cold. I do like your idea about wiring it up to the 12v.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts