Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been discussing adding a GPS to the fishing and hunting boat for some time now but have been waiting on the prices on them to drop a little. Can anyone suggest a decent unit, possibly hand held that won't break the pocketbook?? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I've used a hand-held E-Trex for several years now, mostly when boating. Works great to mark waypoints to navigate (very helpful in the fog on the bay), or fishing spots. Nothing fancy, but honestly it works outstanding for my needs, and I think I paid $99. Not sure how they'd do in the heavy woods, but they're fine on the open water.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I think I got mine at Dick's on sale, but you can find Etrex's all over. Check the ads in the Sunday paper because you see them on sale all the time. And I'm not saying that's the best unit out there, but I was just looking for a basic model...no adding maps, charts, etc. I wanted a basic unit that I could trust to get me back to the boat launch in fog or other bad weather, and this one works great for that. Plus I have a lot of fishing spots marked that I use all the time. So I can attest that it's great on water. But just to get other opinions, I would advise you go over on the electronics forum and do a search of handheld GPS units. You'll probably get all kinds of reviews on the various models.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
For handhelds I'm partial to the Garmin models, they get the job done and are easy to use.

For fishin' I like the bigger screen of the larger console mounted units here I opt for the Lowrance or Eagle units.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
...For fishin' I like the bigger screen of the larger console mounted units here I opt for the Lowrance or Eagle units.
Agree completely! If I were looking to use it more for fishing, I'd go a lot more elaborate. But for just guiding my butt back to a boat launch, this little sucker is outstanding.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I've got a Magellan 300 that I use. I picked it up 3 years ago for around $120. Pretty basic model that seems work for what I need.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hankrt,

Most important suggestion I have is get the biggest screen you can afford and want to carry. I have had mine for several years and as I approach my 43rd Birthday I am finding my arms are a bit too short to see it clearly. It gets worse at 5:30 in the morning, in a boat, in a steady rain, at 20 mph… You get the idea.

Despite the fact that I need reading glasses, I would be lost with out mine. Literally and figuratively.
I have a Garmin Rino 130. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=182 It is a GPS and a hand held radio. I like it because I don't have to carry a radio too. The really cool part is some of my friends also have Rinos. Because of the radio feature we can transfer data to each other. I can go into the woods and send them my location. We use this a lot deer hunting. Yelling over a radio, "come over to the big pine tree to help me drag this deer out" does not work near as well as sending them my exact lat and lon. We also show up on each other's maps.

I also buy from REI. http://www.rei.com/ They are a bit more expensive but they will exchange electronics for any reason. I keep the receipt in the box and put the box somewhere high on a shelf. If it breaks after three years REI will exchange it no questions asked. When my first one died I returned it and paid the difference to get the next model up.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You can pick up a Garmin E-Trex for about $60 on ebay, slightly used, just look for one in good condition. There are tens of thousands for sale on ebay, just pick out one you like and pick one up for less.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have used and taught classes with Garmin units for years. One of the best features that any Garmin unit has is free software upgrades off their web site. All you need is an USB cable to attach the unit to your PC and you can update the unit for years.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Have used and taught classes with Garmin units for years. One of the best features that any Garmin unit has is free software upgrades off their web site. All you need is an USB cable to attach the unit to your PC and you can update the unit for years.
Does this include the Etrex? to be honest with you, to me the thing is just a tool, and I'm not a techie guy that really enjoys playing around with this stuff, so I haven't looked into it. But that's nice to know if you can do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts