Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was gonna make my order for next spring but was told things are on hold right now. Oh well, looks like i will have to just spend more time digging them up elsewhere.:lol:

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
How hard or adaptive are they to transplanting.. Have some volunteer ones but they have not even begun to spread like wildfire like everyone claims..

·
Registered
10,833 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Once it really gets established...you can hardly slow it down. I've pulled over 100 in the last year and wish I had time to pull about 100 more at least. I feel like I live in the Autumn Olive jungle!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If your buying AO's, I'm selling........how many you want, 10,000? 50,000? To my wife.... Put up the for sale sign, we are RETIRING! Green Gold.......:idea:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This wasn't bar talk. Called and spoke with a nursery today.

·
Registered
35,814 Posts

·
Registered
19,135 Posts
How hard or adaptive are they to transplanting.. Have some volunteer ones but they have not even begun to spread like wildfire like everyone claims..
Our best success was to dig them in the spring after the frost is out of the ground and before the leaves pop. Digging with stiff pitchfork on plants less than knee high is quite fast. Will be bare root. Digging with shovel will be slower, but you will have some dirt around roots. Bare root plants are much easier to push into ground.
Young plants are easy to i d. Lots of landowners will have hundreds of plants they would be willing to give away.
If you keep the roots moist, high success rate.

L & O

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Our best success was to dig them in the spring after the frost is out of the ground and before the leaves pop. Digging with stiff pitchfork on plants less than knee high is quite fast. Will be bare root. Digging with shovel will be slower, but you will have some dirt around roots. Bare root plants are much easier to push into ground.
Young plants are easy to i d. Lots of landowners will have hundreds of plants they would be willing to give away.
If you keep the roots moist, high success rate.

L & O
Thank You... I may have to give a go this spring.. I just do not see where they are totally invasive around here.. One thing I notice when traveling up and down 131 is AO in the ditches the further north you get the less and less there is but it has been in the ditches in the north for years.

·
Registered
19,135 Posts
Thank You... I may have to give a go this spring.. I just do not see where they are totally invasive around here.. One thing I notice when traveling up and down 131 is AO in the ditches the further north you get the less and less there is but it has been in the ditches in the north for years.
We get some winter kill of AO. Usually when we get some real cold weather in mid-winter with little snow on the ground. Alma area. I would think further north the winter kill would be common.

L & O

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
This wasn't bar talk. Called and spoke with a nursery today.

Caker.... You're not far from me. Come out to my farm and take as many as you want. You've always wanted a tour of the land, here's your one and only chance!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was half serious. We cant get rid of Autmn Olive. They are spreading like crazy and we literally trying to pull them, treat them with Turdor, and round up. If you want some, PM me and maybe we can set up in the spring. We are in Alcona county and I guarantee the other posters, there is very little winter kill with these things. Birds eat the berries and eventually the seeds come out somewhere else. If you pull them, they send up 50 new shoots. Then they get thorns, just to make it even more special to deal with.

For my two cents, I'd go another route long term. IMO.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The MI government has been spending thousands to remove it from state-owned property lately, so I'm not surprised to see that they are finally making a move to ban it's sale within the state.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Any evidence that this is now law? All I see here is a blurb about the state house of reps approving a measure for a ban on the sale of AO back in May, which was then sent to the senate.

Typical political feelgoodism. They may as well pass legislation to ban the sale of emerald ash borer larvae.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts