Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Government wildlife habitat program

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RecurveRx 
#1 ·
Many of you may be interested in a new government program that can benefit all kinds of wildlife as well as having great financial incentives. There are two new programs, one is called diverse grassland and the other is native pollinator.

Moderator "Neal" will add attachments soon and you can contact me for further information.

#2 ·
Can you gives more info on these new programs?

You said they they are govt programs, are they state or federal?
What is the focus, game- non-game, southern, northern, prairie, etc.?
When are they available?
Do they provide financial or technical assistance (both)?

Sorry for all of the question, but you've got me interested.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneycreekhabitatspecial
Many of you may be interested in a new government program that can benefit all kinds of wildlife as well as having great financial incentives. There are two new programs, one is called diverse grassland and the other is native pollinator.

Moderator "Neal" will add attachments soon and you can contact me for further information.

May I?

Conservation Reserve Program - State Acres For Wildlife Enhancement (CRP-SAFE)

On March 22, 2007, FSA announced a new CRP initiative, State Acres For Wildlife Enhancement (SAFE). SAFE allows producers to install practices that benefit high priority State wildlife conservation objectives through the use of targeted restoration of vital habitat. The program, which was the result of an agreement between USDA Farm Service Agency, USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, wildlife management agencies, conservation and commodity groups - such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Nature Conservancy, Pheasants Forever, the Michigan Department of Agriculture, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the Michigan Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association - was announced in January 2008.

Sign-up to enroll land in the new Conservation Reserve Program practice, called State Acres for Wildlife Enhancement (CRP-SAFE), began in Michigan on July 1. The goal of SAFE is to create 7,500 acres of diverse grasslands in 18 southern Michigan counties (Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Clinton, Eaton, Genesee, Hillsdale, Ingham, Ionia, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lapeer, Lenawee, Livingston, Monroe, Shiawassee, St. Joseph and Washtenaw) and 2,500 acres of pollinator habitat in 22 counties in the western Lower Peninsula (Allegan, Antrim, Barry, Benzie, Berrien, Cass, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalamazoo, Kalkaska, Kent, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Ottawa, Van Buren, and Wexford).

Landowners who choose to participate in the new practice may receive 90 percent of the cost of converting cropland into wildlife habitat, and in some cases 100 percent. In addition, they will receive rental payments for a minimum of 10 years and have the option for enrolling for up to 15 years. Participants will also receive a signing incentive payment equal to $100.00 or $150.00 per acre, depending on contract length, upon enrollment into the program.

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/stateoff...&topic=landing

These Continuous CRP programs are really great - you can't beat the financial incentives, that is, if you want to take the land out of cropping.

#5 ·
I wanted to bring this thread to the top for new members to see or those that missed it last year.

This program has been very successful so far and is still running.

I planted approx. 350 acres for customers in Clinton, Ionia, Barry and Muskegon Counties in 09.

#6 ·
for those that want to help right here in michigan theres several volunteer programs with the dnr too. one of my favorite is collecting seeds for replanting.
they train you and show you what they want to collect and you walk threw and area harvesting the seeds. nice off season field trip . enjoyable walk. you learn a little. and get to help out with nothing more then a little time.

#7 ·
Man, the diverse grass land program sounds awesome. I think I could get my brother (he runs the family farm now) to bite if it wasn't for the minimum requirement of 30 acres. We have some of the farm into CRP now, but I know he's not going to go for another 30 acres, and he's a hunter who understands the needs of habitat. Can't say as I blame him. He's been laid off from the shop now for some time and the farm is his only income.

I could probably sell him (or subsidize) another 5-10 acres out of production. Anything out there on a smaller scale?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.