Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,857 Posts
Looks like my bill's standing corn. Since he doesn't hunt he's not amused.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I have tracks 10 yards from my truck, but nothing a mile in the woods.

·
Registered
35,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standing corn is something new for the deer here. As best I can tell they have not touched it. After muzzleloader all the standing corn is going to be traded for goose hunting rights next fall.

Rifles are now unloaded. Did not see a buck today. 23 different deer seen today lots of fawns are still around.

·
Premium Member
12,857 Posts
It looks like you have a high deer density, is that normal for your area or are you drawing from a large area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Or just one doe who cant sleep.

This is very cool though, sometimes just feeling safe makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I planted corn for 8 to 10 years on my place. The deer would just start eating it the end of gun season. They would be using it well in muzzle loader. Some of it would get eaten when it's in the milk stage. Corn is hard for them to eat off the cob/husk. If I were to run over it with a tractor or brush hog they would be all over the loose grain. Your deer have not figured out how to utilize it. Once they do, it will be a hit. I made the mistake one year of planting and leaving 3 acres. My deer would clear out close to an acre by spring.

·
Premium Member
12,857 Posts
our deer seem to know just what corn is and how to get it. A few times we have had to leave fields from 10 to 20 acres and they ate it all by spring. We had hoped to harvest it in the spring but nothing left. We have 30+ acres standing now and we will do what ever to harvest it when the ground freezes.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You probably have 2 to 3 times my deer density. Saginaw county is one of the lowest deer densities In southern and mid Michigan according to the MDNR deer density map. 10 to 15 a mile. We don't see herds around here, never have. I seen 10 does and fawns opening day afternoon hunt. That was the largest deer sightings I have seen on my place in 19 years. Close to a 1 to 1 buck to doe ratio on my place. Through October my buck sightings were higher than my adult doe sighting. Typical every year. The deer have a lot of food. Not ever touching brassicas or turnips. I did plant a strip of ground hog radishes. They have eaten them a little bit, not like the clover rye and wheat. They may get after them when snow falls.

·
Registered
35,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plots in the picture were put in as an experiment and for our QDMA branch habitat day. These two pictures just show a portion of what can be viewed from a 30' tower blind. There are a total of 7 acres of plots which contained corn, 7 varieties of brassica, rye, soybean, annual clover and milo. The small brassica plots divided by corn are pure variety plots planted for usage determination.

This demonstration plot area is attached to a highly managed woodlot that's also contains multiple food plots and the bedding area for many of the areas deer. Bioactive was the guest speaker for the habitat day along with Forest Meister who retired as the local DNR forester. Ed Spinazzola's brain was also mined for information. Prior to starting his business Jeff Sturgis also toured this property.

To say the least this years experiment was a success. I can't take all the credit many others contributed intellectually to this project. Hard work implementing a long term plan made it possible in a low deer density EUP DMU. Build it and they will come. Enhance it and they will thrive.

·
Registered
35,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
17 seasons ago I would go days without seeing a deer. Now it may be a couple of hours during an all day hunt that I don't. I tried posting a panoramic view but it doesn't work very good.

My habitat is able to survive the pressure that you see. All the deer are migratory so they are gone for 5 months a year. Most of the deer don't even begin to show up until November. Do you even see a browse line?

Attachments

·
Registered
35,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night I filled out my UP Deer Camp Survey. The results even surprised me. With one day left the deer sightings are at their highest point ever for me.

If you are unfamiliar with the DNRs survey you record every deer seen unless you are positive it's a duplicate. Bucks are easy to distinguish, does and fawns not so much. Your location is also requested, town, range and section if it is known. Observations are on a daily basis. If you leave the day blank it means you did not hunt.

No one else hunts this property except my daughter and we hunt together so only one of us submits the data. Out of 278 acres only about 60 is used for access and hunting. The rest is a sanctuary of sorts. Multiple tours take place on the 60 acres including the Habitat Day which took place in mid August.

11/15/13 through 11/29/13 sightings

178 does
173 fawns
17 bucks
1 unidentified

The tower blind was only hunted twice. All other sits took place in the wood lot behind the tower blind. 5 blinds were utilized on 11 different days. Most of the days were all day sits. No wolves were seen or heard but coyotes are always around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts