Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Got to have minnows???

917 Views 12 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Smokin-the-eyes
Anyone having success on the river fishing jigging raps without a minnow or minnow head?
Reactions: Allegan outdoorsman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
See guys on youtube doing it all the time in other parts of the country, however I like the minnow heads at least for scent and some meat in the presentation
Have you ever noticed when Jigging you’re getting lots of fish and bites and then all of a sudden nothing bring it up no minnow head but your other Jig rap or spoon is still getting hits . That will Purtee much tell you minnow head or not
Speaking of Minnows, coming up Saturday or Sunday and was wondering about Cox's Bait and Tackle shop since I'd drive right by it on my way. Hours, decent minnows Y/N? Only info I could find on several websites was open 6am which is about perfect but couldn't confirm. I could get them around here today but they would be crappie minnows and would rather have the larger shiners and fresher in the morning anyways. Just never been there. Thanks.
Reactions: Allegan outdoorsman
They Chase lures without minnows but don't usually hit without them. They will hit a bare hook on occasion but usually you will do much better with bait.
Iv started using Salmo lures and other similiar lures quite a bit...no bait/minnow/minnow head, And have had just as much success. I will agree w the scent of bait being an attractant, but if u have a lure that has a stand alone awesome presentation it can b pretty deadly! Its nice not to worry about gettin bait.
Reactions: skagitmaster
I would rather have them and not use them then vice versa. Many times I buy a lot more then I end up using.
Reactions: mofit and BIG "D"
I got outfished by a friend two days ago. I was using jigging rap with minnow head he was using finn-s .His had stinger.
Table Wood Rectangle Electric blue Art
Reactions: GrouseMD
It was really the Tabasco sauce!!! :lol:
I got outfished by a friend two days ago. I was using jigging rap with minnow head he was using finn-s .His had stinger. View attachment 292141
Reactions: 4h20 and specks23
I never use bait on my jigging rapals in the river and I catch fish all the time.Last night at the mouth I caught 7 fish and my smallest one was 17 inches and the biggest one was 26 inches. Black and silver works the best for me #7
I ran out of bait on the bay yesterday. Still kept catching fish on a blue and silver snap rap I didn’t notice a difference.
Yesterday when we had fish staring at the lure for a while and not taking it we would pull up and find that we no longer had a minnow. re-tipped and the bite would continue. (however open water season I never have had to tip. I just use plastics in the boat)
I like the minnow head during midday just so them nibblers have something to key in on

But once they are snapping I go to a Jensen egg instead so I don’t have to rebait after every fish
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.