Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New at this steelhead fishing, a friend of mine (which is also new to it) got some spawn the other day and was generous enough to give some to my father and I.
He got the fish, froze the fish overnight and then (the next day) thawed and cut out spawn.
My father and I were told that you should cure the spawn by putting it in a pantie hose and let it soak in the river, or to rinse it under cold water for 20 minutes to a half hour. We rinsed the spawn under cold water for a good half hour, then tied up 20 or so bags, with the remaining we vac sealed and put in the freezer.
The spawn (when tieing) was very soft and slimy and they broke easy, is this how they are supposed to be?
Can any one please give me some advice on how to cure them.
Or are they no good because they were frozen, thawed, cut from fish then refrigerated?
Some help please.:help:

Thanks in advance.
Bob

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,661 Posts
huntfishlive said:
Or are they no good because they were frozen, thawed, cut from fish then refrigerated?
Some help please.:help:

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Yup, you should not have frozen it until you removed and prepared it in any one of many different ways. The soak/rinse would have been OK had they still been fresh.
Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Mushy skeins are a pain in the ass to tie up, but doable. I bleed my fish first off, that takes care of any blood in the skein. When I get home, I wrap in a paper towel or two, and refridgerate. A couple hours later(or the next day if I'm tired:D ) I change the paper towel, wrap the skein good and tight in it, wrap it in tinfoil, then put it in a freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as I can. You can also roll it in borax before you freeze it. Either way, the skeins have a great color, smell, and tie up nice.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay what is bleeding the fish out, and how do you do this and when?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
huntfishlive said:
Okay what is bleeding the fish out, and how do you do this and when?

Thanks
Bleeding a fish out means just that, draining the blood out of the fish. It's best done as soon as it's landed. I prefer to completely cut both gills with a knife or scissors, some just rip them out, some just stab on the underside of the fish towards the head. Do it while the fish is still lively and get it back in the water (on stringer ;) ) and the fish will pump it's own blood out while it dies.

As for the eggs you have, they're better than nothing. Once out of the fish my prefered method is to rinse them well with water, dry til tacky, wrap tightly in saran wrap and freeze. I've found that my best results come with properly thawing, I always remove the eggs from the bag or saran wrap while thawing. Once eggs have been frozen and thawed they get tossed, they don't refreeze well. This is all for eggs in the skein, I don't deal with loose eggs much.

Mitch

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
If there's any tip that I can strongly suggest for anyone starting out, it's bleeding a fish out if you intend to keep it. As for the skein tips, the ones suggested above work great. I used to loathe tying skein--simply because I wasn't curing it properly. I use pretty much the same methods for freezing it and it does become a lot more user friendly.

However, once it's been frozen like you mentioned and then re-thawed, it's going to turn really nasty if you re-freeze it and then thaw it a second time later on.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
I don't rinse my eggs off for anywhere near as long as you did. All you need to do is rinse them long enough to remove any blood that may be on the eggs whether they are loose or in skein.

As for treating eggs I prefer mine to be au natural.

·
Registered
121 Posts
there is about 15 different ways to treat spawn. one of the oldest ways to treat is rinse out your spawn with river water only. not tap water,for any matter or way of rinsing.tap water has chemicals.take a gallon out of the creek if you have to. then you take a cookie sheet and put about 5 layers of paper towel or 10 layers of newspaper on it. lay a single layer of spawn out on it. and set it in the fridge for about 12 hours. they should prune up. tie them up and freeze. they will plump back up when they hit the water. but what i lkie to do is just tie it up fresh and put some paper towel in a jar,stick the bags in, put the lid on,and wrap the jar with 2-3 layers of foil(helps keep the frost out) and freeze in a freezer bag. but as said by the other guys..only good to freeze once. but i have had to freeze twice before. just makes it messy and a pain. as for the stuff you got, it is gonna be a pain to handle but it will work just fine. good luck and hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Reel_Screamer86 said:
I would like to know what happend to the other comments that were here!!!!
Or was the post going to h$%l
There were(are) no other comments on this thread.

·
Registered
13,817 Posts
I basically do what Ausable_Steelhead does, except that I cut the skein into spawnbag sized pieces before freezing. When I thaw it out, the paper towel absorbs almost all of the goo, and I just have tacky chunks of skein to tie into bags. They still goo when I pull the Magic Thread tight, but are a lot less messy than just cutting chunks of skein to tie.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
To elaborate on Mitchs post, I wrap in wax paper, then wrap that in aluminum foil, then put that in a zip loc baggy. Squeezing air out at each step. In each package, only freeze as mcuh as you would use for that outing. Also, when thawing, thaw it in the refridge, it won't get mushy that way. You'll probably need to take it out a day or so earlier as it takes a little longer to thaw that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts