Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put out my first muskrat sets ever, and caught one on the very first check! What pretty little critters they are, once their fur dry. I think I like their fur better than mink :D

It was caught in a 110-conibear, bottom-edge set right at the base of the grass clump you see in front of me in the pic. This grass clump was the most prominent feature along the bank, as you looked down the river from a distance. The animal was caught while heading upstream, along the bottom in about 12" of water.

I need to thank Mallard for his help on this particular success, but for the record...this set was my idea! (Hehehe...cocky for a greenhorn, aint I?)

This sure has been a great year of trapping for me. Not in terms of quantity but in terms of "first catches" and lots of lessons learned, through the successes and failures.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nice looking Rat NC,

You and Mallard are some crazy guys not wearing gaunletsthis time of the year. When you two get minor frozebite you will learn :p

Any way have fun trapping rats.

Dave

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dave.

You know, I have three different sizes of water-trapping gloves, from wrist on up to shoulder gauntlets. But, I just dont like using them unless its actually cold and windy out. I have only had one truly cold day so far this winter. Last night I was sweating my butt off and cool water was a relief :) You can see my brown cotton jersey gloves sitting on the grass, at the left side of the pic. Thats what I like to wear on the line.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
NC
way to go north country!

you impress me, every animal that you have targeted this year it seems like you get one!

congrats again!

mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mhodnettjr said:
every animal that you have targeted this year it seems like you get one!
LOL ! Thanks Mike, but thats an illusion, trust me :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nice catch, that picture is awesome. Nice muskrat but look at the background beautiful. Have not been north in a very long time. Glad to see that picture.
Matt

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Muskrat, and um.........sorry about catching one of your kin folk :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think someone started a thread of favorite trapping pictures last week. It would be nice to see that top picture in there. Look back at the end of the season as a reminder. As for the name, heck could not think of anything else while I was registering. This is a great site.
Matt

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
NC,
Once again congrats and beautiful pic. Who took the pic. I agree that muskrats have some great fur. Good for tying nymphs too if anyoe is into fly fishing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thats awesome, congratulations on your muskrat success. That first picture is really cool, looks like you're trapping in a beautiful area.
Joel

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, guys....thanks for the compliments about the pic, but you gotta remember....I make all scenes look good! That was actually taken in a junk yard, but my Hollywood Trapper appearance just jazzes it up alot :)

Actually, Mallard took the pic. He's pretty handy behind a camera, if nothing else ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I havent trapped since I was 16 about 20 years ago. Have fur prices went up? I know all the local fur dealers down here closed up. Would love to teach the kid how to trap.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts