Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a black lab yesterday from a hunting partner. she is going to be 1 year old in march. she can already retrieve doubles and is a great dog just needs some work. she has a good bloodline. He is going to work with me and train her so by next season she should be a great dog(she already is).
He kept her in a kennel outside. I dont have a kennel so i keep her inside and she is around the family alot. this shouldnt effect her hunting ways should it? Ill post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Congratulations on your new dog. Labs are very sociable, if anything, letting her live in the house could help her. Hopefully she makes the transition indoors smoothly and everyone will be happy.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after hunting with her saturday. i brought her into the house and she sat at the door for about 5mins checkin everything out and smelling everything. she got along with our other dog good, the only thing i have to watch is that she doesnt want to play with the other dog becuase the other dog is 12 and is almost deaf and her eyes are cloudy so she probly wont be able to see much longer. she hasnt found out we have a cat yet. the only thing thats going to suck is getting house broken especially after her living outside for almost a year already.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Duck-Hunter said:
the only thing thats going to suck is getting house broken especially after her living outside for almost a year already.
You may be surprised how fast she is housebroke. I have fostered (in my home) many older kennel dogs all have been accident free after just a few days....takes about another week for them to get the go to the door to ask part. Just be sure to crate her when not able to keep an eye on her.

Good Luck~

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Tecumseh said:
Labs are very sociable, if anything, letting her live in the house could help her.
:yeahthat:

Labs are great dogs. Congrats.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ever time she goes in the house i just stick her nose in it and tell her no and give a little jerk on the chain. i have been crating her when i go out.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Duck-Hunter said:
ever time she goes in the house i just stick her nose in it and tell her no and give a little jerk on the chain. i have been crating her when i go out.
I hope you are also going out with her and praising for doing it in the right spot?

If after a few days you find your method of housebreaking is not working for you. Here's a link to the method used by most trainers...
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/housebreaking.html

...it really does work. The 6 month old kennel pup I have had here for a week has not had a single accident and last night he "Asked" to go out...such a smart boy!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Post some pics... Love the look of a young lab!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I live nearby in Hartland and could use a training partner for a day or two a week. If you are interested drop me a line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts