Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took a nice little 7 point this morning around 9:15am. First buck I have harvested with my bow!

The action was pretty good right from the start. Kicked up a group of deer bedding near my stand on the way in.

Right after daybreak, an antlerless deer came in from the west. The deer was alone as far as I could tell, crossed right in front of my stand about 10 yards out. I have real good cover in front so I drew back as it passed the cover. When it stepped into the clearing I studied up the top of his head real good and saw 2 nubs on top, so I let down. While letting down he looked up at me. Locked in on me for a good 30 seconds as I stood dead still. Then he carried on. Right after him came a Doe, I figured she was with him but she kept on and instead of following him she veered off towards the edge of the woods to the cornfield. She was bleating, so maybe she was looking for the rest of her group.
Eventually the button buck moved on out of my area and headed for the back of the woods.

A little while later I saw a spike come through from behind me, he was about 20 yards behind my stand (no shot to the area he was in). I would have tried grunting him in but I wasn't going to shoot him anyways so I just enjoyed watching him.

Shortly after that a group of 5 Does/Fawns came storming into the woods out of the bean field and headed back to the back of the woods. I was on high alert hoping maybe a Buck was on the prowl but never saw anything.

Then around 9am I saw 2 Does about 50 yards in front of me. They weren't headed my direction. I have had decent success bleating in Does, not sure why it works, I think maybe the curiousity of seeing who is bleating. They weren't really responding but while I am watching them and bleating I hear a couple of twigs snap off to my left. I look over and a 7 point had stepped into the woods out from the clearing about 30 yards away and was headed right for me.

I grabbed my bow and sized him up as he headed towards me. I have let many bucks walk in the past several years since I started bowhunting including a couple 6 points last year. He wasn't what I imagined my first Buck would be but he looked good, and I just felt the time was right. He stood perfectly broadside at 10 yards, so I took the shot.
A little forward but good placement nonetheless. He ran about 40 yards and piled up. Quick, clean kill with no tracking.

Kind of a unique rack (to me anyways), standard 4 points on one side with 3 assorted points on the other.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Nicely done, congratulations.:)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nice job RH!!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Good job - congrats. Yeah, that's an interesting rack. It'll probably be a long time before you get another one just like that.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Good job. Great story!

·
Registered
533 Posts
nice buck RH.....nice shot to boot......

In the second pic, it looks like the buck is doing something he shouldnt be doing!!!!!! :yikes::lol::lol:

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha!
That's actually my shin his face is under. I was by myself so in order to get a good pic of his rack I had to stand above him and prop his head up with my boot.

nice buck RH.....nice shot to boot......

In the second pic, it looks like the buck is doing something he shouldnt be doing!!!!!! :yikes::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Nice job!!! Congrats on the first buck!!! Was this on the new property you just got permission for, with the rub line??? Or the other? Congrats!!!

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was not on the new property. This was taken on the property I have been hunting that last 3 years.
Still haven't made it out to hunt that new property yet. I have a stand up though.

Was this on the new property you just got permission for, with the rub line??? Or the other? Congrats!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts