Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trap modification season is in mid stride and it looks like its gonna be another banner year...

...for stitches, gauze and splints.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, she attached my leash to the nose ring and gave a quick jerk. Thanks for the concern, Gil. Lol

On a more positive note- my adjustable jig plates are working well. I made them up to accommodate the different size RGB jaws that need to be welded. They are stackable and pinned to lock in place. I am making 2 1/2, 3, 4 and 5" jaw diameters in the next month. 6" and 6 1/2" in August.

I found the offset is best welded on spring steel which doesn' t like to accept weld splatter as much as other carbon steels. I can lightly tab the jaw and the weld separates easily from the base plate should they become attached.

Did I mention how I am doing sober and non sober reaction time speed testing on the trap jaws? Oh yeah, there's a little glitch in the procedure shortly after adding apple pie to the process. I may have to cut back on the amount of cinnamon.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
useing a mig welder? or tig? Did you have to buy the springs? as far as the pie goes, you mite try some nutmeg. It counteracts the everclear by a factor of.0000312%. just sayen

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm using a mig. It's working out pretty well. It cost a lot to get it all set up, but now that I have it for various metals including aluminum, it was well worth the investment. I like stick welding but know I don't understand how I could of got by without the mig.

I did buy the springs so far. All of them have been 160s, I haven't been able to find anyone with 110s yet. So, I think I'm ready to start making my own springs too. I don't think I'll be able to modify 110 springs to be small enough for the smaller RBGs I plan on making. I will have to find a good supplier for music spring wire. Kind of interested in seeing how badly I can hurt myself trying to make those as well. :shocked:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well it looks like your traps will hold a skunk ;)

·
Registered
26,583 Posts
You should strive for full pad catches, much less damage that way.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Wow! Nice welding fixture! And come to think I do all of my faburicatin' with a vise and a big hammer!

;)

John

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
It happens to the best of us.

I sported a thumb like your for four months until the nail grew out, after testing the holding power of one my #3 Victor Coil springs. Yup, they definitely do hold! :yikes:

A #14 Victor jump with teeth on the thumb does get you scrambling out of the beaver pond and heading for sound ground in a hurry. :sad:

Had a 330 across the instep of my foot once, but never had the misfortune of getting a hand in one of those.

And the stories go on and on with scars to prove it. ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BFH only tool you really need. hit it again son, we almost got it.
I bet you and Barney Rubble made one heck of a team there, Gill. If it wasn't for him stealing that round wheel design of yours, you probly could a retired by now. Lol

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I bet you and Barney Rubble made one heck of a team there, Gill. If it wasn't for him stealing that round wheel design of yours, you probly could a retired by now. Lol

he named his kid after me. your gona be old one day................................................................................................maybe.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he named his kid after me. your gona be old one day................................................................................................maybe.
Lol

Even the wife is betting against it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts