Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Mag Carbine.
Since moving to the UP, I’ve found that the majority of good spots I’ve found have been 50-60 yards or less of shooting potential, plus I’ve always wanted to get one of these anyways. Should be perfect for those spots. Fit and finish is great, and trigger pull is light and crisp right out of the box. Anyone else use one of these?
Wood Plant Garden tool Shotgun Grass

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Since moving to the UP, I’ve found that the majority of good spots I’ve found have been 50-60 yards or less of shooting potential, plus I’ve always wanted to get one of these anyways. Should be perfect for those spots. Fit and finish is great, and trigger pull is light and crisp right out of the box. Anyone else use one of these? View attachment 832028
There are no flies on that one, but I'm curious. Now that you aren't restricted in your choice of chambering, why the 44 instead of a .30-30, 35 Remington or 444 Marlin?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no flies on that one, but I'm curious. Now that you aren't restricted in your choice of chambering, why the 44 instead of a .30-30, 35 Remington or 444 Marlin?
Already have a .44 CVA single shot, and a boatload of ammo for it. In my experience the .44 really hammers deer under 100 yards,havent had one travel more that about 30-40 yards yet with it. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor that I can carry for any situations where I need more range.
Also can still use this gun if I go back down to visit and hunt with family.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may have to go that route too. Can't find a 35 anywhere. Congrats on your new gun.
No idea why Henry doesn't make the .35 rem in this type of configuration like they do with the 30-30, I would have thought long and hard between that and the .44 if they did. I think they would sell a bunch to hunters. The cowboy version is all they offer in that caliber, and it just isnt all that appealing as a hunting gun imo.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Beautiful Gun! I'm all about the same ammo, That's why I have 357 mag revolver and a 38 special. Now I want to get the 357, rifle can't wait to own a lever action! Can't believe how much money they get for them especially in the calibers you can use down the state!

All of the deer I have shot in a UP have been less than 40 yds!
I love to hunt the thick stuff right on the edge of a swamp!

Have fun sighting in!

Since moving to the UP, I’ve found that the majority of good spots I’ve found have been 50-60 yards or less of shooting potential, plus I’ve always wanted to get one of these anyways. Should be perfect for those spots. Fit and finish is great, and trigger pull is light and crisp right out of the box. Anyone else use one of these? View attachment 832028

·
Registered
39,783 Posts
All right quit talking about these lever guns. My wife says one more gun and she gets a new house. :(
Just go to the shooting range with an empty case. Come home and clean the new rifle and put it in the safe. Easy peasy just remember loose lips sink ships.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts