Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little tip that seems to work (doesn't hurt) to add a bit of realism to your spread.

Some people put a sentry or two around their blinds - as their "call geese". I do the same thing, but take it a bit further, and make these birds either G&H "greeter" heads/Mirage greeter or Motion Heads on a BF body. If generally speaking your rig runs upwind, these are pointed downwind toward "your hole". I like two of these by my blind, simulating a mated pair that's warning the new birds off. - though it seems that's right where they want to land.

the Mfg's seemed to recognize this as well. Many now make "greeter" heads just for this purpose -some even make them for Ducks as well.

If you ever watch/study birds, you'll see this alot. new birds will be coming in and you'll hear a very excited/rapid double cluck from a pair on the ground. as the birds get near or just touching down, these two get very excited and go right after them scooting them away from "their" feed.

I like the motion head a lot for this when you get a good wind. the head will kinda pick up from the feed position and actually look like an ol' gander that's now irritated doing that "Head shake" warning routine.

Probably overkill... but sometimes it's the little things that make for a successful outing - especially late season/pounded birds.
If you're interested in those motion heads, I believe Knutsons in brooklyn has them and they come flocked. Use them with your old Hig full bodies or BF's. (If I remember right, you can just see a motion head to the left of my finisher in the other post)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Branta,

I don't really have the goose rigs that you guys have. I have been in to the homemade stuff for a long time. Here is what I use:

Obviously I cannot attract the geese that you do but they work well enough for pass shooting.

So I started reading up on bigfoots and everything after I had seen all the goose decoy posts here. The first thing I came across was flocking kits. First I had to figure out what a flocking kit was. Since I saw that you mentioned flocking, here is my question: Do you do this to all your dekes? Is it durable?

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can shoot geese over 2 decoys or 200, but it's being on the x that's the real determining factor. (heck, i've shot geese over plywood sils, sliced truck tires and black ducks over mounds of seaweed!) Location is the #1 thing, so if you're "in their way" - you stand a good chance of shooting some birds. A lot of times, we just use a huge rig for the drawing power - to get them to change their minds from their intended flight path to our fields.

back to the question... I really like flocked heads. It was one of those simple ideas that make you go.... dang! i wish I thought of that (kinda like the goose flag.)

If you get a buddy to help you out, it's pretty simple and fast. One applies the adhesive to the head, passes to the next guy that gives it the "shake n' bake" to apply the flocking.

there's nothing really to this stuff- so simple, I wish I could find the flocking material myself somewhere at a craft store or something. (any ideas?)

durability- if you're anal... you'll be doing touch ups during and after the season, But it also depends on how hard you hunt and how you take care of your stuff. You've probably seen some of our rigs so "no", we haven't done them all - that's a lot of dekes!
Always put your best stuff in the hole and the approach side - then fill around them with your other stuff. A winter project for me is to flock a bunch more.

It seems to hold up better on the motion heads for some reason - which is also a great improvement to a prior negative I had with those heads. they are expanded foam heads made from a white resin and previously, they were just painted black. well, if you scuffed them up at all, you had all this white foam popping out all over the head - looked absolutely terrible, so I quit using them. Then a buddy at Knutsons said they improved them so I bought a couple of testers. 100% improvement

·
Registered
192 Posts
Branta do a search on ebay I found a ton of it in bulk...the glue is the part i couldnt figure out so I bought the kits.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check that out. I looked once on EBay and I always found that people ring up the price to almost (and sometimes over!) retail.

DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT "EBAY"!!!:mad:

There seems to be something about that Auction format that makes people lose their minds! thought I'd pick up some used BF's last year, figured EBay would be the way to go. One guy sold two USED BF's for $63.00 , then charged $15.00 for shipping!! I couldn't believe it!!

AH, Hello?! you can buy NEW full retail for $25 a piece, and $20 on sale!! I just don't get it sometimes.

----------------------
anyways, "Yes" I think the adhesive is just an oil based paint (seems that way to me) - it's not some secret formula!

-----------------------------
Here's another tip- You've probably seen that commercial "grass" that you can by for your layouts? usually about $120 to do one blind. Well, I believe it's nothing more than Raffia. You can make it yourself for about 15% the cost by going to your local Michael's/ JoAnn fabrics and buying it there. customize the coloring by mixing in some green,light green, tan and zip tie them to your stubble strap. pretty simple and a perfect "green camo" cover for hunting Early season fields or grass banks.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You are right about ebay. I was looking at bigfoots and saw the same thing you did. You get a used product for the same price as new. Shipping is where you have to beware. A lot of times the seller fixes the shipping cost and it may be very inflated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was just talking about flocking (it was buy it now)not the gold plated bigfoots they sell on there.;) :D

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
edit to Raffia post- I meant layout field blinds - not mighty's or bankes boats!

If I can find the pic I'll post up my layout that I use for early season green fields. Raffia was all purchased locally at JoAnn Fabrics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just wanted to add about buying decoys on e-bay. First of all I'm a powersellar on E-bay and sell many kinds of hunting fishing and camping equipment. One thing I can tell you about the hunting and fishing items is there are a lot of great deals to be had but Decoys and other items like Ovris gear is in great demand. I have sold decoys on E-bay and here's a secret, Do you know who buying these decoys on E-bay??? Not average hard working guys like you and me. Corporate CEO's CFO's Board of directors and many other high ranked white collar guys PAYING WITH THE COMPANYS ACCOUNTS !!!!!!!!!!!!! So they don't care how high they jack up the price because they aren't paying for the stuff anyway. I have see this on decoys at least 6 times. The money order will come in the mail for example from DAVEN Industries and will be a company check paying for a half dozen Black decoys. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ducklander

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting... not sure what the suits would get out of it (unless you're talking office/mantel decorative stuff).- other than expensing it off and risking their JOBS for $15.00 in Carry-lite water keels!!

maybe I'm just a "2nd shooter on the grassy knoll" conspiracy kinda guy, but I'm thinking some guys are in kahoots to artifically inflate the going price.

I've never sold anything, so I wonder if I stuck my stuff out there if it'd fetch the same price? I mean really, if I can sell some of my used BF's for $78.00/pr... why wouldn't I? just buy 4 new ones for $106 at Cabelas and start racking up some more cabela points!! :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its just not $15.00 carry light decoys, These guys are buying ALL their hunting equipment on e-bay and not paying a single cent for it. Paying for it with company accounts and having it sent to their house. Just think of the money you could save if you bought everything you use for duck hunting on a company account. I know I would have several thosands of dollars and even if they can use these accounts they are still claiming these purchases as rightoffs. As for sellars inflating their prices it called "shrill" bidding and if you are any kind of sellar you are so busy with listing your auction you don't have time to bid against them. Not only that you can get cought very easy.

Ducklander

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Even more reason why I never visit Ebay. Is there anywhere in the world today that isn't corrupt?

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
several thousands$$ ? haven't seen that number since I first started!! that'd probably be close to the $$ I spent last year alone!

between all the accumulated gear, trailers, boats, guns, leases...I'm almost afraid to think of what else I could have if I hadn't spent/continue to spend on this obsession of mine!! (maybe that Cabin up north I was cryin' about earlier!)

-------------------edit---------
Not going after you about EBay - I guess just a Rhetorical comment/observation

(has made me think about it though - this might be the place to move some old stuff out. You know... to make room for the "latest in decoys" that we all know we'll just have to have before next season!)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Originally posted by Branta
.......(maybe that Cabin up north I was cryin' about earlier!)
That brings with it, more work and a whole other set of expenses, be careful what ya ask for. ;) With a cabin you might not have as much time and money for the things ya do now. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just saw a rig using what looked like flying geese about 6 ft off the ground. Do you use those? I couldn't tell if they were kites or solid bodies. The light was bad as they had them almost next to the trees with their backs to the south. Those guys were stomping around like they were chilled.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Branta.... a couple years back a bought some "bobble" heads for my BF's.... they were stryofoam with a wire that you pulled out and it gave the heads movement... have you seen these anywhere... I only have 6 left and would like to buy some more... I agree that movement in the spread is very helpful in finshing birds...

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure it was bobble heads for a BF or was it the old HIGDON Full body - active head?

the old Higdon has a full body deke with a cloth neck, plastic head. Connecting the head to the body through this cloth neck was a stiff spring. the leg to body joint also had a stiff spring system. to "activate" the deke, you used fish line that was feed through an eye bolt on an extended base platform going out from the deke and then fed it up to an eye bolt in the bottom of the bill.

give it some twitches and wollha... feeding goose!

Used to use them a ton in Illi but over the years they've lost favor to less bulky/easier movement methods. -like batt op goose magnets. essentially the same effect, but you stick a deke on the goose magnet and it bobs the 'coy up/down like it's feeding. no strings to deal with, trip over, get hung up, snare the dog...

it was a good thing to get people "involved" though, so I liked them. Always felt it added that much more to the hunt when guys, all guys participated in the "sell". We called it the "Organ Master" - we'd have six to 8 out in the rig and ran the lines back to one are of the pit. the Organ Masters job was to pull these lines, alternating the sequence ... like he was working an organ in church!!

----------------
StacMo- Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're interested in some I can see if he wants to part with some/all.

PM me.

What I could've used this weekend was a "flapper". own/use many flags, but I could really use something with "wing flaps" that I could activate from 30-40 yds out. to me, the one wing stretch and "double pumps" just seal the deal on finicky birds.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It was my Mom's birthday on Saturday. So I drove down to Cabela's and got her a couple of Bigfoots for her yard (of course I had to buy a 4 pack:D :D). She loved them and Dad grabbed them and put them outside immediately. He jumped every time he walked by them. He's 84 with Alzheimer's so he forgets every 5 minutes that they are there. Got to see the bright side of everything. He was upset because I didn't bring him dead geese.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts