Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been thinkig about jsut buying one of the kits and seeing how it comes out. Let us know if you have any success

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have some in the smoker right now. This is the first time I tried gose, so I used my regular venison summer sausage recipe. I will let you know how it turned out. It should be done 4 to 6 hours. I kinda go by feel when it comes to knowing when my venison sausage is done so I am gonna do the same with the goose sausage. I use the 2.5 inch casings that are typicaly used for summer sausage so it takes a while to get it fully cooked and firm up. Sometimes I throw it back in the smoker for a couple hours just firm it up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well my sausage is done and I can say it was not a total loss. It tastes great, just doesn't stay together very well. It falls apart when you cut a piece off. I might need to add more pork, but then is it really goose sausage anymore? It might be because I did it in the 2.5 inch casings. Maybe if I tried the smaller casings it would stay together a little better. I think I will try again, but just more pork. I went with 5 lbs goose and 1lb pork, maybe I need to go with 5 lb goose and 2.5 lb pork.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used the Summer Sausage mix from Gander Mountain made by PS Spice Company. I have had great luck with the PS Spices. The Summer Sausage mix and the Hot Beef Stick are the 2 I use the most. You can order directly from the PS website, but you do not save much on the mixes. Where you save is the casings. They are about half the cost. I make lots of venison sausage so it makes sense for me to order in bulk rather than buying it at Gander Mountain. That is the only place near flint that I know of that sells the mixes I like.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Take about 20#'s of goose meat and take it to Norm's market in Richville. Ask for pepper jack cheese sticks. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well my sausage is done and I can say it was not a total loss. It tastes great, just doesn't stay together very well. It falls apart when you cut a piece off. I might need to add more pork, but then is it really goose sausage anymore? It might be because I did it in the 2.5 inch casings. Maybe if I tried the smaller casings it would stay together a little better. I think I will try again, but just more pork. I went with 5 lbs goose and 1lb pork, maybe I need to go with 5 lb goose and 2.5 lb pork.
What temperature were you cooking the sausage at? I make my summer sausage about 95% lean (but out of beef or beef/venison) and the only time it got crumbly was when I cooked it too hot. I like to cook mine at 160 degrees, and use 2.5x13 casings (about 2 lbs each). It takes me 12-13 hours to completely cook and I use a meat thermometer to make sure it is done and safe to eat.

Mike (Papa) Greco

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure you add enough pork butt and I have had great results cooking mine in the oven. I want to say my internal temp was like 165 or so. The stuff i did in the smoker turned out really dry in comparison. I used the hot snack stick cure from Cabelas and added more HOT (because that's how I like mine). I stuffed mine into the small collagen casings. Hope this helps. It's always good to do small batches and write down what you did when it turns out good... Then start mass-producing:) If it means anything, my wife even likes it;)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I get the venison summer sausage seasoing from the Sausage Maker web site. I add half pork along with hot pepper or garlic cheese. I add liquid smoke to it and do it in the oven. Easy, turns out great and it never lasts long. I usually set the oven just under the 200* mark and put a thermometer in there to monitor it. I try and keep it between 170-180. Normall takes around 5 hours for the 3"x 24" sticks to hit 170 internal temperatures. As soon as its done i shower it in cold water. Does two things. Stops the cooking and releases the casing from the meat so it doesnt stick. I then place them on a regridgerator rack in my shop fridge so the cold air can surround them. Leave em over night adn then i bag em. Theyre never dried out using this method.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering how high the internal temp has to reach when making goose/pork summer sausage and smoking it in a Bradley Smoker. "cure" will be used in the recipe along with spices. Will use the Cabelas summer sausage recipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
try adding a little nonfat dry milk as a binder to your mix. also do not heat to over 180 internal or the fat will melt out and make it crumbly.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I bought a 25 lbs snack stick kit from Butcher Packer yesterday. I used 15 lb of pork butt and my last 10lbs of goose breast. Instruction are easy to follow. Grind, mix and stuff. Bake 1 hour at 170, second hour at 200 or until internal temp gets to 160. I use 1 oz of red sweet wine for every lb of meat. I also add 2 teaspoons of cheyenne pepper for every 5 lbs if u like it spicy. Wife and I kicked these out last night. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1377952298.498865.jpg
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1377952314.365566.jpg
After they cool , cut to size and place in an open paper bag in frig or package to freeze! Enjoy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ingredients:
16 Lbs of Goose breast
11 Lbs pork ( I use the shoulder)
2.5 lbs of pork fat
1/8 cup of crushed or milled black pepper
2 Tbsps crushed and chopped Thai chillies
3 Tbsps of Sea salt
6 Tbsps of Kosher salt
2 small cans of Chipotle peppers
1.5 heads of Garlic
1/3 cup of Mirin
7 Tbsps of fennel
2 Tbsps of Thyme
3 Tbsps of chilli seeds
2 Tbsps of my hot sauce
2 Tbsps of soy chilli paste
2 Tbsps of chilli pepper oil
3 Tbsps of roasted pepper and garlic mix (Bottled store brand)
1/2 cup of red rice wine vinegar

Cut up all the meat, dry roast and grind all the dry spices and mix into the meat. Chop and mince the Garlic and blend into the meat mix.
If you want a binder (bread crumbs) put it in now and mix by hand.
Chop the chipotle peppers fine and add all contents of the can to the meat and mix it in. Now add all the wet spices, mix by hand then grind once through the meat grinder into a large bin and store covered in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days
Now you can grind once more with a smaller plate if you like and then I mix it by hand once more and stuff the sausage casings.
Link or roll and store in freezer bags or vacuum pack.
Don't forget to take a sample taste test before you stuff the casings and adjust for your taste.

## If you are not into heat you can drop the hot chilli and any chilli based ingredient.
This tastes great even after 8 months in the freezer

ENJOY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts