Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else see the report on UPN 50 last night about the goose swimming around on the one of the rivers in the Detroit area with an arrow stuck in it? It looks like someone found a way to take advantage of the late goose season in an urban setting!
Personally I think that this is a text book definition of "UNETHICAL" and I'm sure the antis are gonna have some fun with this one!
Just wondering if anyone else shared my opinion

·
Administrator
17,585 Posts
Unethgical or illegal? That's the only question I have. If a guy felt like whacking a goose with a bow from his bedroom window, on a private pond in the middle of suberbia, I wouldnt care. As long as he wasnt breaking any laws, and was doing it to get a nice goose dinner. <----<<<

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You bring up another good point Joe.
The legality of the whole situation!!!
Maybe our good friend boehr could shine some light on this end of the question!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Last year I was inquiring with my local police department about goose hunting on a local lake.
I was informed that the lake in question had a local ordinance that stated there "was no discharging of a firearm" on that lake.
I mentioned to the officer that the ordinance shot my chances of goose hunting there, and his reply was..
"well, it doesn't say no hunting, just no discharging of a firearm on the lake. If you felt like bowhunting the geese, you would be totally legal".
To make a long story short...
we bowhunted them for awhile. We would stalk up in a camo'd canoe and jump shot them as they would take off. However we would never shoot our arrows up into the air. We would try to release as their butts were leaving the water with a game tracker attached to the arrow. We took a few geese with this method, and we were totally legal.
The nice thing about it was this: No Booming shotguns to spook the geese from returning to the water.
The sport in itself was quite challenging, and I would definitely recommend it.
BTW...with the string tracker attached, our hit to harvest rate was 100% even if the bird was not fatally wounded by the arrow.
We also used broadheads with turkey stoppers.
It was quite rewarding to bow harvest nuisance geese. It also gave us a chance to hunt water that hasn't ever been hunted for many many years!
Hunt

G

·
michiduck - get a gosh darn grip on yerself.
Unethical ?!?!

Hunting waterfowl with archery equipment is LEGAL in Michigan. As if you've never "cripped" one with your scattergun.

I have hunted the big birds with a bow. Let me tell you they are tough hombres to kill. NAP's 'gobbler getter' seemed to work the best for me. One in particular took a Thunderhead to the chest, only to take off with the rest of the flock, unrecovered.

It happens despite the best of intentions and ETHICS.

Now, what if UPN shows a doe with an arrow sticking out of her abdomen next October ? Still unethical ? Or just poor taste in broadcast journalism ??

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
MiDuck what about the duck or goose that has the broken wing? The cripple is part of hunting although the arrow thing just brings more attention to it. You show me a hunter who hasn't crippled an animal and I'll show you someone with little time a field. We all try to make good clean kills but sometimes it happens. I definatly agree though that it sure looks bad. I think city ordinances very about archery hunting so it may not be Illegal.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy there Alpha,
Don't get me wrong; I do realize crippling brids happens and yes I have crippled my share.And i realize it happens out of the best intentions and ethics, but from what I understood (which I could be wrong) it happened very close by (in the city)and if it were me I would make quite an effort to recover the bird just so it wouldn't get blown out of context; which it did. And with it being on TV this only fuels the efforts of PETA and other such groups.
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers (so to speak)

[This message has been edited by michiduck (edited 01-25-2001).]

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe it was guy gordan who reported on the inncedent and stated it was a cruel act someone committed,This bothered me because he said the goose could fly.If that was the case the bird may have been shot where it is legal to take geese with bow and arrow and that means he broadcast hunting to be cruel.
Granted it did not look very good at all.

G

·
michiduck - I hunt them "in the city", too.
Specifically, in Waterford Township.

This township allows no firearms hunting, except on state land (Pontiac Lake Rec.) but does allow 'discharging a bow within township limits. The safety zone rules apply whenever you are attempting to take game, but not if you have a 3d target in your yard.

So where to you find geese that are minimum 150 yards away from occupied dwellings in the city ? Easy...the golf course.

They hate those darn birds. I've even gotten standing ovations from clubhouse bar patrons as they watched me wax one from the windows which overlook the course.

You didn't ruffle my feathers too much. A peeve of mine is disention amongst our ranks....ie gun hunters vs. bowhunters, standers vs. hound men, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts