Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for opinions. I'm going to pick up a few more goose decoys with the after season sales. I currently have about 4 dozen big foots and a dozen oversize bigfoot shells. I bought the bigfoot brand because of the durability everyone talks about. The one thing I don't have is motion.

My question is, does it really matter? It is my understanding that the Avery models have some of the best motion in the industry but their decoys may not be as durable over time. I have no idea if this is true. Hopefully someone can comment on how the Avery decoys hold up compared to the Bigfoots.

So, should I just buy more of what I already have or add something different to the mix. I realize nothing lasts forever but I cannot afford to replace decoys every few years. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Are any of your 4 dozen Big Foots full bodies? If not, consider a dozen of those; otherwise, I'd go for more shells than just a dozen. You might find yourself on a hunt where you can only bring shells because of weight/space.

As for adding motion to a goose spread, next goose you kill pull all the wing feathers out and save them. Tie a large enough loop of dental floss (or similar string material) to the end of the feather such that the loop can fit over the neck of your goose decoys. Each feather on the neck of your goose decoys will add movement in the wind. Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. All are full bodies but the 12 shells.

One more question- Does anyone use floaters in the field? I couldn't imagine it could hurt if you prop them upright. I did find some stands online. Not sure of they are necessary. Maybe the posture is off on the floaters and they are better left at home. Seems like they would work though.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

One more question- Does anyone use floaters in the field? I couldn't imagine it could hurt if you prop them upright. I did find some stands online. Not sure of they are necessary. Maybe the posture is off on the floaters and they are better left at home. Seems like they would work though.
Floaters should look just like shells when placed on snow, but without snow it's tough to get floaters with keels to sit correctly without some sort of stand. My Canada floaters are the Hard Core brand ones with removable keels, which is nice, but not so nice when the keels fall off in the water and sink like rocks (happened one time, but was able to order a new one from the for like $3). IMO shells are cheap enough to just pop for a few dozen and not worry about using floaters in a field, they just take up a ton of space and are harder to haul out. I love the ability of being able to haul out a few dozen shells and the rest of my gear all in one trip on a jet sled.

·
Registered
783 Posts

I used to use my floaters in the fields before I had a trailer full of decoys. They will work fine especially with the snow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking for opinions. I'm going to pick up a few more goose decoys with the after season sales. I currently have about 4 dozen big foots and a dozen oversize bigfoot shells. I bought the bigfoot brand because of the durability everyone talks about. The one thing I don't have is motion.

My question is, does it really matter? It is my understanding that the Avery models have some of the best motion in the industry but their decoys may not be as durable over time. I have no idea if this is true. Hopefully someone can comment on how the Avery decoys hold up compared to the Bigfoots.

So, should I just buy more of what I already have or add something different to the mix. I realize nothing lasts forever but I cannot afford to replace decoys every few years. Thanks for any feedback in advance.
If you're interested, I'm getting ready in the next few days to put up for sale 12 Bigfoots and 2 slotted Rogers bags. The bags can hold 6 BF's each WITH the bases on them. I've also got a coat of flocking on the heads of the decoys. I'm looking at $250 for everything. Let me know ASAP if you're interested. [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts