Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew a tim grounds today and i really liked it. Ive recently started blowing with alot of air pressure, so its really not a huge deal for me as far as air goes. I have heard with higher air pressure you can get a wider variety of sounds. I am just wondering what grounds call you all think provides the best sound. Looking for low end but also able to scream up top if i have to. I am open to other brands as well. I need to blow some lynch mobs and probably a GK before i decide on a call for sure though. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For Grounds call's, I prefer the Real Thang with a full reed. GK call's the nod goes to the LG-1 or the Canuck. Lynch Mob well it's hard to beat the Reaper.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
use what wins all the competitions: SuperMag

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have used the BGB "fat boy" and Foiles SM and like em both. The BGB uses more air than the SM but both have a great low end and high pitch. However i also have been wanting to look at other brands for different tones. Are there any places or shows that come around that will allow you to blow different calls? Sorry to hijack, but it may benefit both if anyone knows of such places to look for calls. Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1man, im glad you asked because i was just going to ask the same thing. Im in grand haven and im wondering if anyone knows of any large conventions, shows, etc where i can blow GK, Lynch Mob, Tim Grounds, and anything else i can get my hands on :evil:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
You asked what grounds call - that's why I threw out the SuperMag.

there's a number of shows that you can try out a variety of call, but unfortunately they're all late summer.

off the top of my head, I don't know of anything in your neck of the woods. if there is, someone will chime in I'm sure.

as for retailers, you can take a drive over to Knutsons in Brooklyn or up to Jay's in Clare to try out some different calls.

if you can get further east, try Cabelas or Franks up in Bay City.

and as I mentioned, as you get closer to the season there should be some shows popping up like the Bay City Waterfowl show and Pt. Mouillee

~~~~~
there was a waterfowl show over in crown pointe, IN a number of years ago. not sure if it's still up and running

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's a link to hear the stage reaper,can be tuned any way you like by George Lynch. I have one that's tuned with a little higher pitch for hunting and it is an awesome call. Hope this helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsEclj-QPa0"]YouTube - Stage Reaper[/ame]

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
I've owned every single Grounds call on the market. For an all around call, the Super Thang or Triple Crown are both great calls. If you've got good hands, the Real Thang is very good as well. In the Lynch Mob line up I would recommend either the Reaper, or the Stage Reaper. Both are great calls. Once again, the Reaper requires some better hand work. As far as GK calls, the Canuck is the hands down winner in my opinion. It runs best with good hand work as well.

Keep in mind that you don't need higher air pressure to get the variety of sounds that you speak of. Many calls will do that, regardless of how much air the call takes. It's all personal preference as far as bore design. Another misconception is that calls that take higher air pressure also take more air to blow. This isn't necessarily true. Yes, the call may take higher air pressure to break the call over, but many calls like these are more efficient on the volume of air that you use.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
Here's a link to hear the stage reaper,can be tuned any way you like by George Lynch. I have one that's tuned with a little higher pitch for hunting and it is an awesome call. Hope this helps.
As far as I know, Trevor Shannahan is currently tuning the Stage Reapers. It is his signature series call.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Really? I think GK might have something to say about that. Champion of Champions is a pretty big deal in comps.

The OP asked about a grounds call and Branta answered what TG call he recommend because of the grounds calls, The SuperMag has dominated on stage.....

Don't get me wrong though, I totally agree with what you are saying as I prostaff for GK Calls and Wade winning the CoC with the GK is a pretty awesome thing....

As far as I know there's normally a hunting show at Devos Place in Grand Rapids where the Great Lakes Open Calling Comp is held every year, and I know GK was there last year...don't know how far that would be from you but I'd look into that and see if they are having that this year again or not....

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just wanted to echo F&F comments above since you asked about Grounds calls. Grounds calls are all very good (as are GK, LMC, Zink, etc.). They do run a bit differently than some of the other calls on the market, just have a tad bit different feel than some of the other brands on the market. Not better, not worse, just different. If you like decide thats what you want to go with, Knutson's is the only place I know of in Michigan that carries the entire Grounds call line where you can try them out.

But also, don't be afraid to just call the Grounds shop. Odds are either Tim or Hunter will pick up the phone. Tell them what you're looking for and all that and they'll be able to help you narrow it down to a couple of calls which will help you when you do get a chance to put your hands on a few.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
max4 where are you located. I would like a chance to run some GK's if you dont mind...nobody near me has them.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I am not big on getting caught up on this brand or that brand of goose call, get a call that fits you and stick with it...get the guts worn in and you will have a lot easier time being able to make all the various pitches/tones you need on a goose call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts